Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eliteeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
Hey all!

I just got a rMBP Late 2013 from Best Buy. It was a "Geek Squad Certified Open Box". Everything seems to be running ok... except that downloads are way slower than my old PC.

OK so, this is my first ever Mac so I'm not really sure how exactly they are supposed to run. The internet seems a lot slower than on my old windows PC.

I'm downloading some system updates from the App store and a 1 gig download is taking like over an hour!!! (although I'm downloading something else at the same time...) Is that normal? On my PC when I would *looks around* torrent stuff a 1 gig download would probably take me 10 minutes give or take. Is it just that the App store is really stingy with bandwidth or is my mac slow?

Also are there any specific tests or stuff that I should try to make sure that everything with this Mac is OK? Cuz I don't know what to look for and only have 14 days to make sure it all works ok!

Thanks a ton guys!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the poor download speeds are only occurring from the Mac App Store, then its probably on their end not yours. As mentioned compare your results from speedtest.net

eliteeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2014
So I ran the speed test on both and they both gave me around 24.5 Mbps (which is a lot more than I'm paying for...! Dont tell Verizon!) Everything else seems to be running way better on the Mac though. I really love this thing!

I'm gonna try another download from the Mac store at some point and see what happens. I remember having really slow DL times from Apple in the past too so this could just be a store thing forme.

Thanks guys!

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
So I ran the speed test on both and they both gave me around 24.5 Mbps (which is a lot more than I'm paying for...! Dont tell Verizon!) Everything else seems to be running way better on the Mac though. I really love this thing!

I'm gonna try another download from the Mac store at some point and see what happens. I remember having really slow DL times from Apple in the past too so this could just be a store thing forme.

Thanks guys!

Well, they both have the same speed so I'd say it was a Mac app store thing at the time (as said before, 10.9.2 just came out). You're just fine!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Thanks guys!
Looks like the performance issue is not on your side. Enjoy your new baby :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.