Best Buy Gift Card

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Appleseed22, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Appleseed22 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I have about $700 worth of Best Buy gift cards that i've been saving up for an iMac purchase...but now I wana go the refurb route from Apple to get a better machine and not the base models. Any thoughts on how I can turn the gift cards into cash? (ive tried Craigslist, no luck) I'd love to just spend it at BB but I don't have that financial luxury right now.

Kind of a lame post I know, but i'm desperate

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well, you're options are limited,
    Either use them at BB or sell them and as you mentioned you didn't have too much luck in that department on Cragislist

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I think BB might have a standard gift card rack, that would include visa gift cards. If you're willing to lose about $35 you could convert to cards you can use with apple that way.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not a bad idea, the OP may come out better then if he sold the cards via craigslist.

5. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

By a $700 iPad at BB, don't open it, exchange it plus cash at the Apple store. I am not saying its entirely ethical, but it would most likely work.

6. Appleseed22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the help...i'm gonna check out the standard gift card option 1st...but i'm liking the ipad trade-in route, i'll have to do a little researching of Apples return policy, etc. I have some time cuz I think i'm holdin off for a few months to make sure an iMac update isn't rolling out soon

7. Bear macrumors G3

And why would an Apple store take back an item they didn't sell?

8. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

They won't take it as an exchange, unless you know the manager or something. They would take it for trade in value but he'd probably lose about half the money.

9. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I exchanged an iMac that I got from a Best Buy warranty replacement for one with a Fusion drive at the Apple Store. The Apple Store straight up gave me a gift card for the value of the iMac I brought in. Like I said, what he's looking at here isn't entirely ethical, but it might work, depending on who he works with and how good a mood everyone is in. I'd definitely make some calls before showing up and demanding an exchange.

Edit: I didn't open the iMac, otherwise I'm sure it would have been trade in value only.

10. tomwvr macrumors regular

tomwvr

many companies will not allow you to purchase visa/mastercard/AMEX gift cards with a store gift card.