Best Buy Idiot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by caldavey, Jan 3, 2008.

1. caldavey macrumors member

caldavey

Well, if you guys remember me talking about a week ago about my new Black MacBook and how it was doing the thing where you turn it on and it goes "Beeeep Beeeeep (4seconds) Beeeeep Beeeeep Beeeeeep", then here's my story: so I took it into Best Buy and it turns out that you guys were RIGHT! (of course...). What the problem was, was that the guy that upgraded my RAM to 2GB put it in wrong. So, yes, the friendly people from Mac Rumors was right. But the really good part about the whole thing was that they fixed it for free and since I wanted to upgrade from the MB to the MBP, and the new Penryn models are coming out in January, they said that if I buy the MBP now, and the new ones come out and the old ones get lower in price, they would match my price. But, I figured I mine as well wait until the 15th...( but BB says they wont come out with them until the end of Jan) so I left with my MacBook. I now have until January 31st to return it instead of January 5th.
    I can't stand you Best Buy but thank you. Thanks to all the guys here at these forums and if you wouldnt have suggested the problem, this whole thing might not have happened. Thank you. :D

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Lucky you! I wish I could do that at my Best Buy

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Don't count on it. Unless you spoke to the manager or got this in writing, I would be surprised if they actually allow you to do this.

4. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Ya, well thats exactly why I'm not going to get the old one. I'm going to go for the new ones.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

We're always right.:cool:

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Except for when we're wrong. :D

This is why I'm sad about Compusa closing. They had a lot of stuff, and not everyone there was retarded. (can't say the same for the Best Buy across the street)

Plus - Compusa sold PARTS for computers, not just computers.

I will miss you, Compusa.

7. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Fry's is my favorite electronics store. The one near me is HUGE. They have a nice Apple Resale store and the people there know what they are talking about. They also sell lot's of computer parts. I would take Fry's over CompUSA or Best Buy.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Way to go caldavey, sounds like you are covered when/if Apple releases new MacBooks on January 15th. :)

9. katdadee macrumors newbie

I am so glad that I am not the only one that sees that Best Buy is crap. I purchased my iPod from Best Buy back in October of 2005 along with their repair/replacement program. Well shortly after returning from Las Vegas in Oct. of '05 my iPod went crazy, the HD failed. I took it to BB and they sent it off somewhere to get fixed, came back and it failed 3 more times. After taking it back and saying hey I need a new one I was told that because they couldn't find out what was wrong with it one of the times I brought it in, I wouldn't be able to get a new one :mad:. Well I decided to write the corporate office to complain because I bought the "lemon law" protection and wouldn't you know those a&& clowns at the corporate office basically told me to go kick rocks and pound sand. Ever since then it has been my mission to NEVER EVER give them my business again. Sorry for the long post.....

Pissed off former Best Buy patron who now hates the very ground that they place their idiotic buildings on!

10. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

You're wrong !
    even when we're wrong we're right ... ;)

11. Thrawn macrumors member

Sooo.... Asuming that we are right when we are wrong, Big-TDI-Guy was correct in saying that we are wrong when we are not right, right? :confused::confused::confused:

Okay, I'm going back to my corner now...:D

12. caldavey thread starter macrumors member

caldavey

Correct!

Well, here I am again, a couple of days after I get my MacBook back from Best Buy (I was gone when we got it back) because they had put the RAM in wrong, and I'm complaining already. My first boot up of this thing and it does something that I've never seen it do.
    I press the power button briefly and it does the regular "HMMMMM" then waits about 3-4 seconds and then does the last second or so of the same sound. then another couple of seconds, then repeats, again and again. So I say to myself, I'm going to blow up B.B. thats it I'm just going to do it. So I hold the Power button, then retry and it goes like normal and for some reason they put the Mac OSX installer disk so whatever and it pops up and I close it and then I press the EJECT button. Nothing happens. So then I try and drag the icon to the EJECT thing on the dock. But instead of being nice to me for once, it decides to do the little colorful swirly pointer. And it does this for about a minute and then just comes up with "You need to restart this computer by holding..." so I do, and then the next time it just starts up but never gets to the desktop and does the "You need to restar..." and it does that another time after that. Now it's fine, but who knows about next time..."
    For all those out there who don't like B.B., you understand.
    For all those out there who think B.B. is good, ... you need to think again.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Fry's even worse...you can find my post about the never ending Powerbook problem.

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My advice is to never buy a computer from Best Buy to being with. :eek:

I've only found their storage devices and media to be of any good value.

15. Xtremekillr macrumors member

This is why it's better to upgrade ram yourself!! I would do it for free... its fun.

16. Josheua macrumors regular

Ok. Your average best buy employee is your facebook loving, hormone arrested teenager who, as you explain your computer needs, is thinking about the date he/she had this weekend or the girl/guy in the break room who he/she wants to shag. The extent of their computer knowledge expands into the technically deep world of blog browsing and you tube visiting with the occasional typing of a word document or even an excel file for the truly brave among them. Now if they barely understand the windows computer they archaically use at home, how the heck are those people going to begin to grasp the inner workings of an Apple machine. RAM to them is an animal and CHIPS belong with the coke they drink in said break room.

Just my little rant about Best Buy employees (no offense if one of you is lurking around, you have proven yourself evolved beyond said description by coming here :D )

-Josh :apple:

17. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

It doesn't beat my story. I went into return my iMac after I had some screen problems. The guy at the counter goes "we usually check the computers that come back to us, but I'll take your word for it and just refund your credit card. I've never even used a Mac, only seen them on display here." Turns around to the other guy at the counter and goes, "you don't know anything about these right?" Other guy goes, "Nope never even seen one before we got them in our store a few days ago."

At this point he's returning it and putting the money back to my card and I'm thinking to myself, "WOW."

After leaving there I promptly drove to Pittsburgh and bought a MacBook at the Apple Store.

I guess that's what you get at a Best Buy in West Virginia. Good thing I'm out of here in a year when I graduate.

Jay

18. sal macrumors 6502

I feel your pain. i had a bad experience with compUSA with a laptop and extended warranty. I vowed never to shop there again. I am glad they are going out of business.

I hate when big businesses get away with things like that. I knew when I contacted BBB, contacted corporate HQ that it was all for nothing and I had no chance going against a huge company like that.

I tried anyways. Failed. But at least i tried.

19. B3CK24 macrumors newbie

Wow...tons of Best Buy hate..

Not all of us are "retarded".. lets have some respect please.

20. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Some Fry's stores are huge and friendly but some are straight nightmares to find a product or help.. :eek:

My local BB is 'cleaner' than some fry's during business hours.. :eek:

I was the Apple un-official rep @ my store.. :cool: :D :eek:

21. sal macrumors 6502

oh nobody goes to fry's expecting to be helped. Nobody knows anything there, don't even ask. :eek:

Fry's is an excellent store if you've done research and you know what you want. They have some good deals there and you can find basically anything tech related. Just stay away from their open boxed items that have been resealed.

22. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Glad all is going to work out with your computer. I know now all Best Buy employees are bad at what they do but a large amount of them, at least where I live (DC metro area) are lazy, under trained and apathetic who don't know what they are doing. I rarely set foot in a Best Buy anymore. Too many bad experiences.

23. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I used to work @ a Fry's store .. before i split, i was know as jack of all products in my department.. That came from my supervisors,then other co-workers heard that,so it stuck..

Yes some open box stuff is not worth the hassle on the consumers part.. :eek:

24. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I bought my MBP there simply because if I needed a refund on it, I could have gotten the full refund unlike at an Apple store. When I bought it Last July, they hadn't set up their Apple store yet and they had four of five MBPs in a locked display case. The guy that got it for me had no idea about Macs in general and neither did anyone at the checkout. I didn't care, I just wanted my MBP and got it.

If Apple didn't want a 10% restocking fee, I would have went there.

25. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why didn't you test it when you got it "fixed"? Do that next time.