Best Buy iMac Sale

Discussion in 'iMac' started by snakesayan, Jun 20, 2014.

1. snakesayan macrumors member

So best-buy has discounted the iMacs at $130, then a an additional 150$ with .edu email... I am
    Really looking for a computer since my laptop is dead.

I wanted to wait until the new iMacs are released since their is a chance they will be retina display. But I also don't wanna pass up this offer! Are the displays on the current iMacs good? What so you guys think? When will the new iMacs be released?

2. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

The displays on the iMacs are gorgeous. Pick your size and go with it.

Retina is a marketing buzzword and is in no way necessary on a computer you sit a few feet away from when you're using it.

3. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

Though the retina screen is nice (I use a 13" MacBook Pro for work) I am still using a 2007 24" Intel iMac at home for everything you can think off (running Mavericks) and it still looks and works great. If you need to save some money and want to get yourself a great computer, I'd go for it. You'll be totally happy.

4. Truthfulie macrumors regular

I've always thought that Retina for desktop PC such as iMac 27" is rather pointless due to the viewing distance, but Retina is definitely a treat for your eyes. Enabling 720p HiDPI on 27" iMac definitely makes everything clearer, but I do sit little too close to the machine then I really should.

As for the quality of the current generation iMacs, they are fine for casual usage. If you are doing color sensitive works on it or sensitive eyes, perhaps not. Yellow tint issue is something you either see or do not. I've tried multiple units yet they all had distinct yellow tint towards the bottom of the display but every time I've visited the Genius Bar, they simply couldn't tell.

Either way, iMac with Retina will not be cheap even if it does happen within later this year. Much like what Apple did with MBP and rMBP, Retina models will probably be segregated as higher price point until 4K/5K displays become cheap enough to allow discontinuation of the non-Retina models. If you are willing to spend top dollars to get it, maybe you should wait until fall and see what happens. If not, why not just go for it now while you have the chance.

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

My opinion would be to grab one now at the discounted price. I thought about waiting for the retina MBA but decided to take advantage of the BB sale and got a great deal on a great machine.

Remember this, there is always a used market for macs. If you decided to get a retina model later, you will have an easy time selling this one.

6. snakesayan thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks guys, I think I'm gonna buy it tomorrow then... I'm wondering about Fusion Drive and regular hdd now, is their much of a difference? Speed wise?

7. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Yes. My cousin has the HDD version and my dad has the Fusion version. The Fusion one boots in about 1/3 the time.

8. snakesayan thread starter macrumors member

Does best buy sell iMacs with fusion drives? I don't think they do...

9. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Yep that's the catch with best buy, also the hard drive in an iMac is only 5400rpm.. Which Will be the biggest bottle neck in your system. There is no easy way to replace it later either since display is glued.

10. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

The 27" is 7200rpm by the way :)

11. snakesayan thread starter macrumors member

So I just went to best buy, and they don't sell the iMacs with Fusion Deive. They don't do custom orders... I had a chance to see the 21.5 imac and the difference between retina and non retina screens is night and day... I think I'm just gonna wait a couple more months to see if apple announces new iMacs. Retina is totally worth the wait!

12. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

Correct, the fusion drive is only 5400rpm however regardless of model :)

13. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

I believe that all current 21.5" iMacs, Fusion or not, use a 2.5" 5400 rpm hard disk
    ... and all current 27" iMacs, Fusion or not, use a 3.5" 7200 rpm hard disk. :)

14. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

I'm selling a 27" current gen, sent you a PM in case your interested. Cheapest price you'll find :)