Best Buy iPad returns/exchange policy or experience

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jedolley, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jedolley macrumors 68000

Due to the closest Apple store being over an hour away, I will probably be buying my iPad2 from Best Buy. However, I was wondering if anyone could provide any information on their experience with Best Buy in regards to the iPad when it comes to returns or exchanges.

The reason I ask this is last year when I bought a launch iPad I had some problems with the screen. I ended up going through three iPads with the fourth one finally being "perfect". Each one either had a problem with dust under the glass, or dead/stuck pixels. The Apple store was great and handled it with no issue. The last trip I went through two iPads right there in the store until I was satisfied and they did not have an issue with it or at least never hinted that they had an issue.

Best Buy on the other hand does not have the same kind of track record as Apple when it comes to customer service. I personally have not had any issue with them in store (i did have a reward zone issue, but that was online and resolved), but fear they may not handle a similar situation as well as Apple did. Anyone have experience with Best Buy that can comment how they might handle iPad return/exchanges for screen or pixel issues?

2. Saberj macrumors regular

I would say it would probably depend on the problem. But worst case scenario, I wonder if Apple would still let you exchange it at their stores if you are in the manufacturer's warranty period.

3. Davichi macrumors 6502

Order online.

If you want to get it on day one and you want to have a great customer service then drive to apple store.

Best buy is an authorized retailer store. Don't expect too much from them.

I always buy things from apple.

4. urkel macrumors 68030

People slam Best Buy all the time, but I've never had problems with them. In fact I prefer them over the Apple Store because I do my research at home rather than trust the word of a $12/hr Best Buy college kid or $14/hr Apple Store college dropout.

As for returns. Best Buy actually loosened up a lot with their success. In fact, if you're looking for a real deal (especially on Macs) then ask the associate if they have any open box items? They drop 10% off the price for open box so I've been really tempted to pick up an 11" MacBook Air for $899.

5. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Since Best Buy is a reseller I imagine they abide by their own return policies and not in the same case that Apple might. If its more convenient for you to buy from them, I would suggest it, but when it comes to technical issues I would go to the Apple Store or call Apple Care.

6. mcarthon macrumors regular

Best buy is great just make sure to purchase the warranty which price depends on how much the item you are paying for. It's probably 69.99 for two years. If there is any problems they will give you a brand new iPad or whatever you got the warranty for within the two years or however long the warranty last.

7. Saberj macrumors regular

I think I'm going with Squaretrade's warranty again. Didn't have to use it for the first iPad, but they get good reviews, and cover accidental damage in addition to the manufacturer problems.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

BB used to have a restock fee but they did away with it last Dec. Apple did away with theirs to in Jan. BB has RZ points, and $600 purchase will get you $10 in merchandise credit. Other than that no advantage. The disadvantage is that BB is likely not to receive too many units. I think BB has a 15 day return policy whereas Apple's is 10.

9. abooch1 macrumors regular

What the hell does this mean.. haha

10. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

Apple has a 14 day return policy-- http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#topic-21

11. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

The Best Buy's in my area (Fort Worth) did away with their restocking fees. I returned my wife's opened iPad last May within the 14 day period, and they refunded the full price with no hassle. I told them that my wife decided that she didn't thing that she'd use the iPad instead of her laptop, and she didn't want to keep it.

12. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

13. lazer310 macrumors member

I bought an iPad a month after launch at Best Buy. After a few days, I noticed that there were dead pixels on the screen. It was more than 5, so I called my local Apple store and they told me they could exchange it no problem.
    When I arrived at the Apple store, they told me they would exchange it, But the unit they exchanged it with would not be new unit. Only a refurbished one. I argued with the Apple rep that I had just purchased the iPad 2 days before, and had the reciept from Best Buy to prove it, and it should be a new unit. He stood his ground.

I called Best Buy, and they would exchange it for a new unit in the box, but they had none in stock at the time. I was tired of dealing with it, so I decided to just return it.
    Best Buy tried to charge me a restocking fee, but I said it was defective because of the dead pixels. The girl at the counter took the iPad from the box, and with it off(!) she says, "I dont see any dead pixels", and stares at me.
    I ask her to turn it on, she does, and says the same thing. I open the calendar app, with the white background and show her. She said, "So whats the big deal about a couple dots?" I asked for Geek Squad rep to look at. He confirmed it was dead pixels, and defective. No restocking fee was charged.

Take that little story for what it is worth. Avoid Best Buy if you can, deal directly with Apple. Although in my case, that didn't work either.

14. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for sharing your experience. It sucks that it was difficult, but luckily that shouldn't happen this time around as others have stated Best Buy no longer charges restocking fees. I'm just wondering if they give me a hard time if I keep exchanging ipad after ipad if they have pixel issues.

15. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

lol WOE to the Best Buy that ever does that to me. I would let my temper flare and they would have a big scene.

"Is this how you treat customers? Your employee insulted my intelligence." I would say that very loudly. "She works at Best Buy and doesn't know what dead pixels are?"

I don't know about you but if you actually play the irritated customer part, mean it, and create a scene about it, most of the time you will get what you want.

Just be calm, but speak semi loudly so you don't get asked to leave. Just speak loud enough for other customers to hear. Don't let the man get you down!

16. urkel macrumors 68030

My 4yr old niece does the same thing when she wants a cookie.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

In the past with iPhones, when an exchange has been needed they are swapped with new, but not in retail boxes, units not refurbs. This includes iPhones not purchased at Apple stores. Not sure what to tell you about your iPad. Considering how rare the first one was a month after launch, odds are it was what I mentioned and not a refurb.

18. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

and I bet eventually she gets it right?

19. Rodvette macrumors regular

The last time I checked with BB (and all their employees tell me the same story) is that their return policy is 14 days even if its open, and there is no restocking fee (they did away with it as someone earlier mentioned) and if you have any issues you could go to them or the apple store. I am really considering picking up an ipad 2 from them this friday because I live practically less then 5 minutes away from a BB and the closest apple store would be a 15 minute drive.

Since its 5 minutes away I figure I can drop in throughout the day to check if their is a line and it would not be such a big deal since I am so close to home anyways. AND there is a starbucks right next store, I can do my hw while i wait maybe? 98% sure i see myself hitting up the BB store for one, only reason I would not get one from them is if they dont offer the 32gb white ipad 2

20. dtlee1974 macrumors regular

Last time I asked them about it, if you have Reward Zone Silver you get 45 days to return *anything* including iPads, iPhones and laptops. You might want to check with them on that, but that's what they told me last year when I bought my iPad.

21. joltaxt macrumors regular

I was originally going to drive an hour and a half to the nearest Apple store but this thread has really tempted me to consider BB in my town. But I probably won't do it because the people in my town are huge idiots compared to other cities, never understand anything (last time I went to Office Max the girl couldn't figure out how to use the printer WTF), and overall are just a pain in the ass to deal with.