Best Buy MacBooks Drop-In DVDS?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chrismac00, Dec 19, 2007.

1. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

I went to my local Best Buy and they had the MacBook 2.16 GHz. I know there is now a 2.2GHz but the 2.16GHz was priced at $1,199.00. I really don't care about the Santa Rosa and the slightly faster processor so I am indeed gonna save money buy buying the 2.16GHz. So I asked the guy about Leopard and he said they bring the drop-in dvd. But its best buy and im not sure if they have it in there. So I wanted to know if anyone knows or has bought one of these from Best Buy with the drop-in dvd. Again it would be at BEST BUY not APPLE. Please and thank you:apple::apple::apple:

2. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTW, I'm talking about the white model.(if it matters)

3. Wilson1984 macrumors newbie

Yep, go for it. Best Buy is a authorized apple reseller, and the box will have a drop in DVD. Even if it did not, Apple is running a "up to date" program so for 10$ they will ship you Leopard.

4. ajl1924 macrumors newbie

I bought a 2.0 ghz macbook from Best Buy about a month ago and it already had leopard installed.

5. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh well I am going to call Best Buy to see. Hopefully it does come with the DVD and if not hopefully up-to-date does apply on BestBuy MacBooks. Does anyone know if it does apply?

6. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm not sure if they are drop-in discs... but before the update to SR Best Buy started Advertising that Leopard was on their Macbooks.

7. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I just called Best Buy and they said that they weren't selling the 2.16GHz model....but I talked to the operator because they refused to transfer me to the person who is selling the MacBooks, so I guess Im gonna have to go see for myself..if not I'll just buy the SR one. Who cares, $100 more for a little betterness...???

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Up to date program can be from any place official reseller...bestbuy included.

9. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well yeah it doesn't come pre-installed or with a drop-in dvd, then I know that Up-to-Date does apply. I found out in the Apple website, but the offer ends December 29, so I have to remember to do it, since I'm getting it on Christmas on the 25, I have like 4 days. Has anyone done this? How long does it take Leopard Up-to-Date to ship?

10. mopppish macrumors 6502

Umm. Don't forget that the newest one is more than just a slightly faster CPU. There's also the new integrated graphics and a 4GB RAM max (vs. 2GB, I think).

11. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh I already knew that. But i really don't need a slightly faster CPU, because the 2.16GHz is like almost the same. I really don't care about graphics, as long as I can see what I'm doing, im fine and I doubt I will upgrade the RAM and if I do, it won't be more than 2GB. Thanks anyways.

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

3 mb actually.

13. f1 macrumors 6502

Just to let you know that if the Macbook you buy from Best Buy does not have the drop in disc, you WILL NOT qualify for the Up To Date program. Any computer purcahsed from an authorizied Apple Reseller after the release of Leopard will not qualify because they expect the drop in disc to be included.

14. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure that I do qualify for Up-to-Date. I checked and it had a link for computers that were bought at authorized resellers and the Up-to-Date program ends on December 29. I did my research but thank you anyways. :)

I googled "leopard up to date" and the first link was the link so yeah...:apple::apple:

Can't wait!.... 5 more days :apple::apple::apple::apple:

Until

MacBook

15. f1 macrumors 6502

Actually I work for best buy and we had a HUGE customer escalation over this. We had sold a Macbook and our sales associate assured the customer the Leopard drop kit was in the box but it turns out it wasn't. We referred the customer to the Up to Date program as we had no more drop kits, and the customer did not want a new computer as his files were already on it. Unfortunately we did not know that computers purcahsed AFTER the release of Leopard will actually NOT qualify for the up to date program, you will realize this once you enter in your serial number, your computer will be rejected. We contacted Applecare regarding this and they told us that we were responsible for ensuring the drop kit was in the Macbook box and that the customer was NOT going to qualify for a 10 dollar upgrade disc from apple. We ended up having to give a retail copy of Leopard to our customer for free.

But, your macbook should come wit a drop kit in it, its unlikely that it would not include it but as i just mentioned it does happen, and in that case you will need to bitch at Best Buy to get your Leopard Disc, as you won't qualify for up to date with Apple.

16. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

This quote (below) says otherwise. Right from Apple's up to date page.

17. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

He will in fact receive the up to date if it is not in there. I can almost guarantee it. Plus the fact of him not getting a disk is highly unlikely. Apple employees were responsible for going to the Apple Shop in a Shops and also the Best Buy DCs and dropping the disks in all of them. YOu have just as much chance of not getting the disk in one of those boxes as you did direct from Apple. Every once in a while it happens. As long as it is not a demo model or open box. Those do not qualify from Apple or any authorized reseller. Also as of today it seems the prices on previous Core 2 Duo models have dropped in Best Buys by another $50 each. So you should look at $949, $1149 and $1349.

Good luck

Kevin :apple:

18. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for helping me! I have to wait until Christmas to see if it has it or not, since my dad is hiding it from me, but at least I know I'm getting it. So thanks for your help and I'll tell you soon if it came or not!:):):):):):):):):):apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: