Best Buy Maxed rMBP Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kwilbur3, Jul 30, 2013.

  1. kwilbur3 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2013
    #1
    As everyone knows that the new macbook pros are to be out sometime soon. I am wondering if I should take advantage of the Best Buy discounts they are currently offering $200 off plus the $100 discount for a .edu email address (student discount) on the maxed out option at Best Buy.

    So $2499 before taxes. Should I pull the trigger or play the wait game for the haswell retinas? Or am I reading the student discount wrong?

    Thanks in advance
     
  2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

    sonicrobby

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #2
    Can you be more specific on "maxed out". The highest end model with the highest possible upgrades? 768GB SSD and the 2.8GHz CPU? (15" correct)

    And if you decide to wait, and assuming the prices were the same, which model rMBP would you buy then?

    Also, what are your desired uses of the rMBP?

    Because just $200 off and a $100 gift card may not be such a great deal but just an OK deal. It depends
     
  3. kwilbur3 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2013
    #3
    Sorry about that. The high end model is the 15" 16gb ram and 512 Flash memory. Core i7 2.7GHz.

    It wouldn't be $100 gift card. I can take the additional $100 off the purchase (I've been told).

    My uses would to do a little xcode play, hard python and ror dev, and possibly dual booting win 7 and linux vming. And the usual gaming while in win7, my steam library increased due to the summer sale. :D
     
  4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

    sonicrobby

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2013
    Location:
    New Orleans
    #4
    Well gaming is involved, so you cant do less than the 512GB. And people are starting to wonder if the refreshes will include a dGPU, so your gaming dreams may be crushed. But no one knows for sure; I think they will probably include the GT 7xx series in there.

    Then again, if you think of it, the prices of these models of rMBPs wont be going back up. So if you dont take the deal, and the newer models are released, there could be a chance that retailers will have even bigger sales to clear their stocks.

    With that in mind, I would suggest waiting. You can get that same deal (- the 100 on B&H)

    $2599 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925651-REG/apple_me665ll_a_macbook_pro_quad_core_intel_i7.html

    or you can go with the late 2012 models (2.6GHz CPU is the only difference) for even less

    $2149 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871861-REG/Apple_MC976LL_A_Macbook_Pro_with_Retina.html

    Waiting will always get you a better deal on older models. (Also, when I was checking out on B&H there was 0 tax for my state, which is nearly a $200 savings. you should see how you stand with that)
     
  5. kwilbur3, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

    kwilbur3 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2013
    #5
    I appreciate the links. And it does make sense that the old models would be further discounted to clear inventory when the new ones appear.

    I got a little spooked that iris might be included over a dGPU. I like to have mini breaks to game.

    I might end up taking a pass on the best buy deal. Thanks again.
     
  6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2010
    #6
    Don't give up entirely on Best Buy. I'm a fan of the open box deals. Here's one in my local Vermont store that is the 2.7, 16GB and 512GB for $2234.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple&#...1013307&skuId=7808069&dnmId=o_200001597024971

    I actually bought an open box of one of these a few months ago and haggled them down to $2000.

    Just go to Best Buy online, click "Shops and Deals" -> "In Store Clearance and Open Box" and see what your local shops have to offer.
     

Share This Page