Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Where you are basically financing the phone (on their Next program)?
No, all of the phones are bought before I switched plans so I did not have to pay any add-on fee (they don't charge monthly fees for relatively new phones either like the iPhone 5S). I have did the math and found out that this plan is still cheaper than contracts even after buying 2 iPhone 5S's outright.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
How exactly do Americans end up paying more on a contract? I thought they paid less, but were forced to stick with the company for 2 years.

By buying a subsidized iPhone (~$200 instead of ~$600) you essentially take out a loan and promise to pay back the phone as part of the two-year contract. The only problem is that the quasi-interest rate is probably like 30% per year. In other words, the carriers are not only making money with their min/text/data plans but also by charging $1000+ for a phone that you could have bought for $649 from Apple directly. It's not really a scam but people actually think that phones only cost a couple hundred dollars.

Just for reference, AT&T made $18,000,000,000.00 in profits last year. I wonder why.

eee36

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
By buying a subsidized iPhone (~$200 instead of ~$600) you essentially take out a loan and promise to pay back the phone as part of the two-year contract. The only problem is that the quasi-interest rate is probably like 30% per year. In other words, the carriers are not only making money with their min/text/data plans but also by charging $1000+ for a phone that you could have bought for $649 from Apple directly. It's not really a scam but people actually think that phones only cost a couple hundred dollars.

Just for reference, AT&T made $18,000,000,000.00 in profits last year. I wonder why.

Maybe I'm missing something here and you can help me with it. As far as I know, getting service from a mobile provider has the same price across the board, whether you transfer your existing smartphone to them (without contract, obviously) or if you purchase a two year contracted phone through them. A 10gb data plan for that iPhone 5 you bought unsubsidized at the Apple store is still going to cost you $80 some odd dollars. If you don't plan on switching service providers for a couple of years, what's the down side of getting that phone at the contracted, subsidized price, essentially saving you a few hundred bucks?

I see the draw of having no contract if you want to jump from Verizon to Tmo to AT&T year after year, but honestly with the network coverage getting better from all service providers, why even bother with the hassle? On the subject of no-contract service, I get it if you want to have the newest device every year with a Next program or whatever, but that's essentially leasing a phone. Why do that too?

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something here. I don't see the harm in having a 2 year contract with a network I plan on staying with for 2+ years, and I get to keep the phone afterwards.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
Maybe I'm missing something here and you can help me with it. As far as I know, getting service from a mobile provider has the same price across the board, whether you transfer your existing smartphone to them (without contract, obviously) or if you purchase a two year contracted phone through them. A 10gb data plan for that iPhone 5 you bought unsubsidized at the Apple store is still going to cost you $80 some odd dollars. If you don't plan on switching service providers for a couple of years, what's the down side of getting that phone at the contracted, subsidized price, essentially saving you a few hundred bucks?

I see the draw of having no contract if you want to jump from Verizon to Tmo to AT&T year after year, but honestly with the network coverage getting better from all service providers, why even bother with the hassle? On the subject of no-contract service, I get it if you want to have the newest device every year with a Next program or whatever, but that's essentially leasing a phone. Why do that too?

Like I said, maybe I'm missing something here. I don't see the harm in having a 2 year contract with a network I plan on staying with for 2+ years, and I get to keep the phone afterwards.

With the 10g mobile share plan you only pay $15 a month for the line if you bring your own phone. You pay $40 a month if you have a contract.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With the 10g mobile share plan you only pay $15 a month for the line if you bring your own phone. You pay $40 a month if you have a contract.
Thats a new thing and really only on one or two carriers, so not even close to everyone. And up until recently practically no one had that either.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
How exactly do Americans end up paying more on a contract? I thought they paid less, but were forced to stick with the company for 2 years.

Buy new iPhone = $650
(Can't afford that all at once? Put it on a credit card and pay it off in 6 months.)

Sign contract with AT&T?

$199 up-front + $36 activation fee + $25 a month addition on bill for subsidy + 2-year contract = $835 for the same phone.

Make note of this stuff. This says Best Buy is offering a *** FREE *** iPhone. You just have to trade in your worthless old phone.

Even if you got the $199 up-front cost waived by giving them your old phone, you're still out $636.

1) The iPhone you get is not "free" - it costs you a lot more than if you just bought it direct from Apple.

2) They are ripping you off. They are giving you a few bucks for something that you could sell for $300 elsewhere. After paying you $150 for your old iPhone, they will turn around and sell the same phone for around $635 to $735 to the next sucker that signs up for this.
Why $735? Look at the above cost for signing a contract with AT&T. They will discount the device $100-$200 for being older. They still make a LOT of money on this.

Recommended:

1) Sell your old phone on someplace like eBay, Craigslist, or Swappa.

2) Use the money from your old phone toward buying the new phone outright.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
2 yr contract? People still sign up for those?

I am contract free but I couldn't convince my brother not to do so. For him, it makes sense to sign a contract as he gets discount from his employer, He also upgrades on the dot every two years. so it actually ends up being cheaper.

No one size fits all.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Buy new iPhone = $650
(Can't afford that all at once? Put it on a credit card and pay it off in 6 months.)

Sign contract with AT&T?

$199 up-front + $36 activation fee + $25 a month addition on bill for subsidy + 2-year contract = $835 for the same phone.

Make note of this stuff. This says Best Buy is offering a *** FREE *** iPhone. You just have to trade in your worthless old phone.

Even if you got the $199 up-front cost waived by giving them your old phone, you're still out $636.

1) The iPhone you get is not "free" - it costs you a lot more than if you just bought it direct from Apple.

2) They are ripping you off. They are giving you a few bucks for something that you could sell for $300 elsewhere. After paying you $150 for your old iPhone, they will turn around and sell the same phone for around $635 to $735 to the next sucker that signs up for this.
Why $735? Look at the above cost for signing a contract with AT&T. They will discount the device $100-$200 for being older. They still make a LOT of money on this.

Recommended:

1) Sell your old phone on someplace like eBay, Craigslist, or Swappa.

2) Use the money from your old phone toward buying the new phone outright.
$636 seems cheaper than $650.

----------

I am contract free but I couldn't convince my brother not to do so. For him, it makes sense to sign a contract as he gets discount from his employer, He also upgrades on the dot every two years. so it actually ends up being cheaper.

No one size fits all.
Yup, there are all kinds of things like discounts and other deals that people have that can make a contract more appealing and cheaper than buying full price or something similar to that.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You give them a $200-$300 phone to get a $649 iPhone for only $636.

Does that make sense?
You're trading in a phone (worth $200-$300) to get just $13 off the cost of an iPhone.
i see what you meant in that comparison.

However, take Verizon for example, trade-in aside, no monthly discount for brining your own phone, so going with a contract with some sort of a deal/discount might be a better idea for someone (especially if there's some work discount or something else factored in too).

eee36

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
i see what you meant in that comparison.

However, take Verizon for example, trade-in aside, no monthly discount for brining your own phone, so going with a contract with some sort of a deal/discount might be a better idea for someone (especially if there's some work discount or something else factored in too).

Bingo, that's my point. I'm with verizon so there's no monthly discount if I bring my phone in or not. I thought it was ALWAYS this way, until i saw that AT&T just recently start charging extra for a subsidized phone on the monthly statement. What rip offs!

In addition to that, my work gives me a 25% discount on my monthly bill through Verizon. You're right-- one size doesn't fit all, but I still don't see the draw of buying a phone outright if you plan on keeping the same carrier for more than a couple of years, barring AT&T as a carrier option.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
This actually isn't that bad of a deal coming from Best Buy. Especially for those who really want the 5S. Personally, I would rather sell my older phone privately since I could probably fetch more money that way than trading it into a retail store.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I don't see how this is as bad a deal as people are making it out to be. Most other trade-in sites will give me $85 for my 4s, and also not getting the discount on the 5s. I'm bummed that I missed this offer. I wonder if there's a way to get this offer another way?

Stefan Spiring

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
Or you can just

1) sell your phone to UpgradeSwap and get a much more fair payout

2) use the money to get the 5S

3) great success

allthatjazz

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
Probably a good "Deal" for trading in a 4s, but getting 150 for your iphone...you're getting ripped off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.