Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy this week continues to offer all-time low prices on the 15-inch M2 MacBook Air, which is available for $300 off right now at the retailer. Anyone can get these deals and you don't need a My Best Buy Plus or Total membership to see the discounts.

macbook-air-blue-image.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Starting with the 15-inch 256GB M2 MacBook Air, you can get this model for $999.00, down from $1,299.00. The 512GB model has hit $1,199.00, down from $1,499.00. Both of these are record low prices on the 15-inch M2 MacBook Air.

If you're shopping for the new 15-inch M3 MacBook Air, you can find the first discounts on this computer at Amazon. However, anyone looking to save money should focus on Best Buy's discounts on the M2 MacBook Air, which is still a solid option for most workflows and everyday tasks.

Be sure to visit our full Deals Roundup to shop for even more Apple-related products and accessories.

Article Link: Best Buy Offers Record Low Prices on 15-Inch M2 MacBook Air at $300 Off

coachgq

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
I had one, 512/8. I liked it quite a bit, but I couldn't make it fit my lifestyle as well as the ipad pro 12.9 with magic keyboard. The screen brightness for these old eyes wasn't for me and the heavy lifting work that needed to be done could be handled better by my M2 pro mac mini with Studio Display.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Same deal as was offered a couple of weeks before the M3 was announced.

I agree. We've seen this before. Last October-November, as well as during Black Friday, and at Christmas, and at…

All well covered by MacRumors!

In fact, with BB membership, you could even hit $50 lower, with membership costing only $1 during BF. They also had some incredible trade-in values on older Macs driving the overall price down even lower. Sweet deals back then.

Still, we can appreciate MR alerting its readers to the sales when they occur!

Reactions: Christopher Kim

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
Great deal on a fantastic general purpose laptop. I went from 13" to 15" and haven't looked back. It's actually powerful enough to be my main computer - I just wished it could run two external displays (which the M3 now can - such is life!) for when I need more screen real estate.

I know folks bash on the 'slow' SSD in the M2, but if you're not constantly moving around large files or running benchmarks, it's not going to be an issue. (And if you are doing those things, then the 8GB/256GB model isn't for you.)

Well, that's the price the 512GB M3 version should be. 256GB in 2024 for a premium laptop is insulting.

I dunno. My wife is a typical customer for a MacBook Air and her 256GB SSD isn't even 50% full. My parents also just need a laptop for Web and email and they don't come close to filling a 256GB SSD. Apple has telemetry on this and a lot of users just don't need more storage than this. That's not to say Apple charging $200 more to go to 512GB isn't insulting, because it is - Apple really overcharges for this stuff and they really need to fix that.

aliasfox

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
8GB of RAM is insulting. If one wants 16/512 in a MacBook Air, that starts at $1,499 for a 13" and $1,699 for a 15". Hard pressed not to recommend a retail-discounted 14" M3Pro MBP for $1,749 at that point.

Faster processor, triple channel RAM, better display, and for longevity/harder work, a fan. Not to mention an SD card slot that can be used as backup/music/movie storage on something like a Transcend JetDrive.

My 2015 13" MBP with 16GB probably won't be current from a software perspective soon - Safari on Mojave already doesn't render a lot of websites (Chrome to the rescue?), and I'm a bit scared to update to Monterey or Big Sur (heard they're buggy on Intel?). I obviously don't need the power of an M3Pro, but current pricing on MBAs is just so... wrong.

Reactions: sigmasirrus

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
Assuming these record lows are only for the 8GB Models. Best Buy has had the M2 15” 16GB configs at $400 off a few times over the last few months.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
8GB RAM isn't exactly something to be proud of either.
100% agree. The SSD situation is even worse for most people, though, IMO. For the price Apple charge, and the low low price of storage and RAM, 16GB/1TB should be base. We're looking at what, 2% of the sale price?

imtoretto

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
how much of a REAL difference is between an ipad pro with magic keyboard and a macbook ???
i wanted to buy a macbook pro or AIr few month ago but havent pull the trigger since a own a M1 i pad pro with magic keyboard, is it really worth it tho? i know it all depends on the work flow, but putting that aside; what's the game changer?

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
how much of a REAL difference is between an ipad pro with magic keyboard and a macbook ???
i wanted to buy a macbook pro or AIr few month ago but havent pull the trigger since a own a M1 i pad pro with magic keyboard, is it really worth it tho? i know it all depends on the work flow, but putting that aside; what's the game changer?
Software

Reactions: imtoretto

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
I had one, 512/8. I liked it quite a bit, but I couldn't make it fit my lifestyle as well as the ipad pro 12.9 with magic keyboard. The screen brightness for these old eyes wasn't for me and the heavy lifting work that needed to be done could be handled better by my M2 pro mac mini with Studio Display.
Indeed.. for a lot of people the question is between MacBook Air and iPad Air, or even iPad Pro, combined with Magic Keyboard.

The versatility of the iPad with Magic Keyboard is amazing... and in some ways an iPad with Magic Keyboard actually feels more durable and robust than the MacBook Air.

Lot of people can do most of what they want to do within iPad OS, despite its limitations.

Both excellent devices.. great screen, great keyboard (plus trackpad), great sound, and both have great (amazing in case of MacBook) battery life.

Akira1

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2023
The 15" M2 16GB/1TB is the real deal!! $1499 ($400 off) plus if you are Total Tech Member, you get 24 months of Apple Care included.

I jumped on this deal a few weeks back and traded in my 13" M1 Air. BB offered about $200 more in trade-in over Apple too. 15" has been amazing for doing work.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Macaholic868

Contributor
Feb 2, 2017
Well, that's the price the 512GB M3 version should be. 256GB in 2024 for a premium laptop is insulting.

I don’t find the 256 GB SSD to be nearly as laughable as the 8 GB of RAM that ships in the low end MacBook Pro. No Pro system should only have 8 GB of RAM. That’s a joke. A case can be made for only needing 256 GB of SSD storage with a straight face. If you stream all of your photos, music and TV shows / movies and aren’t working with a ton of high res photos or videos 256 GB can be enough to get by. So far I’m only using just over 200 GB of storage on my M3 MacBook Pro but I did go with 512 GB as I do plan on loading my entire music and photo libraries plus a few HD movies on the device for those instances where I’m traveling or don’t have very fast Internet and just local copies of my music and phots alone will put me past the 256 GB mark when I get around to loading those.

Plus at the end of the day you can still add storage to a Mac via an external drive. Not so for RAM when it comes to Apple Silicon. You’re stuck with the CPU and the RAM that ship with system so given that to me only shipping a so called “Pro” system with only 8 GB of RAM is the more egregious move on Apple’s part though I would agree that 512 GB of SSD storage and 16 GB of RAM should be the minimum specs on any system that is supposedly aimed at Pro’s. Leave a 256 GB SSD along with 8 GB of RAM as the entry level for the MacBook Air and iMac.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
I don’t find the 256 GB SSD to be nearly as laughable as the 8 GB of RAM that ships in the low end MacBook Pro. No Pro system should only have 8 GB of RAM. That’s a joke. A case can be made for only needing 256 GB of SSD storage with a straight face. If you stream all of your photos, music and TV shows / movies and aren’t working with a ton of high res photos or videos 256 GB can be enough to get by. So far I’m only using just over 200 GB of storage on my M3 MacBook Pro but I did go with 512 GB as I do plan on loading my entire music and photo libraries plus a few HD movies on the device for those instances where I’m traveling or don’t have very fast Internet and just local copies of my music and phots alone will put me past the 256 GB mark when I get around to loading those.

Plus at the end of the day you can still add storage to a Mac via an external drive. Not so for RAM when it comes to Apple Silicon. You’re stuck with the CPU and the RAM that ship with system so given that to me only shipping a so called “Pro” system with only 8 GB of RAM is the more egregious move on Apple’s part though I would agree that 512 GB of SSD storage and 16 GB of RAM should be the minimum specs on any system that is supposedly aimed at Pro’s. Leave a 256 GB SSD along with 8 GB of RAM as the entry level for the MacBook Air and iMac.
Agreed that when talking about "Pro" quality/price/spec/name laptops that 16GB should be base. Disagree about the SSD size when the cost price difference between 256 and 512 has dropped to negligible pocket change.

svish

macrumors G4
Nov 25, 2017
15" Air is a wonderful laptop and the M2 models are very much ok to buy. No particular reason to upgrade to M3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.