Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
can i ask what exactly an open box is and how you go about getting the discount?

is this the same as a floor model you can walk away with? being used by potential customers?

Yes. Or it could be a returned item.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
can i ask what exactly an open box is and how you go about getting the discount?

is this the same as a floor model you can walk away with? being used by potential customers?

Open Box items are generally returned items that are put back up for sale. I've heard some stories where folks found out the device was refurbished by Best Buy and sold as open box, but I'm not sure how often that really happens (or if it really did happen).

And yes, similar to floor models. Open Box will generally have a sticker on it with a new price. From there, its just a matter of seeing if they'll take any more off.

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2008
I've been getting pretty lucky with Best Buy's open box deals lately. In the last two months they ran promotions to take an additional 10% the open box price (which is typically 10% already). A few months ago I nabbed an iPad 4 64GB wifi for $587 + tax along with a non-open box EOL WD MyBook Duo 4TB Thunderbolt ($250).

I recently noticed I could track open box and clearance inventory online:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17301&type=page

So, last week I went into my local Best Buy and saw a 15" rMBP, 16GB and 512GB SSD for $2420 open box plus 10% = $2178. I talked to the floor manager and asked if he'd take $2k for it. He said no, already a steal, but if its around at the end of the week to talk to him then. Went back in and found one in the cage of returned products today, asked if he'd take $2k...and he agreed!!:D

Machine looks perfect (box is a bit beat up from the wire lock they had around it, but doesn't bother me in the slightest). Screen is a Sammy as well, so looks like a good score.

Happy haggling!

Did you haggle for the thunderbolt drive? It's listed as 449 on my local clearance site...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.