Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Hi. During Black Friday sales, Best Buy had the MacBook Pro on sale. When that happens, the "open box" listings on their website drop proportionally as well. So I was able to snag the M3 Pro (14”/18GB/512GB) Space Black model for $1750ish before tax. The machine is great with no actual issues... except one thing. I see that the previous purchaser already bought the 1 year plan of AppleCare+ for the machine. Will Apple let me start up my own plan and cancel/refund theirs? I know that this person can call up Apple and get refunded at any point and get a refund (prorated). Or even if they don't, once the 1 year is up, the existing AppleCare plan will lapse if not paid up again.

How will Apple handle this?

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi. During Black Friday sales, Best Buy had the MacBook Pro on sale. When that happens, the "open box" listings on their website drop proportionally as well. So I was able to snag the M3 Pro (14”/18GB/512GB) Space Black model for $1750ish before tax. The machine is great with no actual issues... except one thing. I see that the previous purchaser already bought the 1 year plan of AppleCare+ for the machine. Will Apple let me start up my own plan and cancel/refund theirs? I know that this person can call up Apple and get refunded at any point and get a refund (prorated). Or even if they don't, once the 1 year is up, the existing AppleCare plan will lapse if not paid up again.

There is no one-year plan for AppleCare+, so you’re likely seeing what comes with every Mac- the base warranty. If you would like to add AppleCare+ to this computer you should call Apple if you don’t see the option in System Settings to add AppleCare+.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
There is no one-year plan for AppleCare+, so you’re likely seeing what comes with every Mac- the base warranty. If you would like to add AppleCare+ to this computer you should call Apple if you don’t see the option in System Settings to add AppleCare+.
You are mistaken. Apple offers 1 year and 3 year plans. The 1 year plan is renewable.

Reactions: dborja

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
1701779672069.png

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
You are mistaken. Apple offers 1 year and 3 year plans. The 1 year plan is renewable.
Oh right. In any case, you'll need to call Apple, but because you're not the original buyer and because the computer has already been registered you might be out of luck. Only Apple can confirm, though.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK

This happened to me when I purchased a used iPhone 13 Pro Max from CEX ( a well known high street exchange chain in UK). The settings > About > Coverage showed it was still covered by Applecare for another 18 months.

I asked Apple about this and they said there was nothing they could do. It was covered but the original owner could cancel the Applecare plan any time and be refunded. So I got lucky but always felt uncomfortable the plan was in an unknown persons name.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

While not quite as convenient as AppleCare+, see if your insurance company offers a personal articles policy. It would cover loss, theft, or damage, usually with a $250 deductible.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
While not quite as convenient as AppleCare+, see if your insurance company offers a personal articles policy. It would cover loss, theft, or damage, usually with a $250 deductible.
Are you referring to my homeowner’s insurance or something else?

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
Many homeowner's insurance will cover theft and pay what is left after the deductible. If there is a $500 deductible, the machine is valued by the insurance company at $750.00, you get $250.00. And most likely a raise in premiums. Insurance companies never pay the full retail value unless a specific rider is attached to the policy, which will raise the premiums.

For a $7K+ maxed out M3 Pro Max, getting such a rider might make sense. Insurance companies also want to know about such valuable property in advance to help set the rates.

Insurance policies will not pay for damage and repair unless a rider to the policy is purchased. In most cases AppleCare would be the cheaper option.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
A personal articles policy is separate from homeowner’s insurance, but usually offered by the same provider. It has a lower deductible and covers loss and damage.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
A personal articles policy is separate from homeowner’s insurance, but usually offered by the same provider. It has a lower deductible and covers loss and damage.
So... a few things have happened. Apple says they adjusted the purchase date in their system to reflect the date that I bought it. But... they said the the last person who bought it it at Best Buy and that Best Buy is the one that needs to cancel it in the first 60 days. So now.... getting a competent person at Best Buy on the phone is damned near impossible. So... I decided instead to purchase a laptop plan from Worth Ave Group insurance. $16/month for $2000 value covered. Unlimited claims with damage and theft both covered. If this person's Applecare plan sticks then I will just see it has a gift... LOL. I also noticed this weird thing when looking up the coverage in the Apple store app (The "renews on date"):
1702199729352.png

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Another thought. Just because they bought the computer from Best Buy.. doesn’t mean they bought Apple care through them. So Best Buy can’t really cancel something that wasn’t purchased through them.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020

I bought a macbook last year off of ebay that already had applecare+ which was to expire in a couple of months. When it was was close to expiring, I simply renewed it myself. After I renewed it, I had to have it repaired (several) times and there was no problem at all. I'm not sure if the seller ever transferred the plan in my name, but never had any issue with Apple over it.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
Another thought. Just because they bought the computer from Best Buy.. doesn’t mean they bought Apple care through them. So Best Buy can’t really cancel something that wasn’t purchased through them.
Well… apple has confirmed that it wasn’t purchased through them… so… it would be a very odd situation if it was not through Best Buy at that point.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
I have total tech with Best Buy and when I buy a Mac, it automatically comes with apple care + included so maybe if someone like me returns the Mac, the AC+ stays on there for a year. BB is kinda bad at sorting returns. It seems they stick a label on it and resell as Open Box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.