Best Buy open box Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ALMF, Dec 21, 2013.

1. ALMF macrumors regular

Just bought the 500 gig one for $460

Question is should I be concerned with anything or be on look out for something?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Big one - with Mavericks, if person who bought it first registered it under their iCloud, they could (unintentionally) brick it on you at some point in the future. Since BBY probably didn't do this, first thing I'd do is an Erase & Install:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14243

Then sign into iCloud with an Apple ID, to ensure it's linked to your account and not someone else's.

3. ALMF thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I was going to look into how to kinda factory reset it

4. SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

BB should be able to reset the Apple license for the open box Mini through Apple. They explained they could do that when I was considering an open box Mini. If it isn't properly linked under your Apple account after you register it then go back to BB and ask them for help to reset it.

5. nollimac macrumors regular

nollimac

I bought a same open box late 2012 Mac Mini from Best Buy for the same price ($431.99 plus tax) and waiting on my Samsung 840 Pro SSD 128GB to come in.

Mine, the geek squad had erase Apple registry already.The first thing I did was to installed a fresh Mavericks and bought Server 3.0.

6. rndman macrumors member

How do you find the open box? Just walk in the store and ask or is there any info on bestbuy.com?

7. nollimac, Dec 22, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013

nollimac macrumors regular

nollimac

In my case, I just went in and was looking on the Mac Mini...one of the sale associate just came up to and asked whether I found what I was looking for while I was looking on the price. The sale associate then said he has an open box for $431.99...would I be interested...yes.

It was a much better deal than what sellers wanted on Ebay for a 2011 Mac Mini.

8. rndman macrumors member

Ah. Time to take stroll at my local BetsBuy I guess...
    Of course if they have one..

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

iCloud is different than registration. This is the risk:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2701

10. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

Here you go…
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcat17301&type=page

It used to be that Best Buy would occasionally have 10% off Open Box coupons, which made these deals even better, but I haven't seen one of those coupons in a long while.

11. rndman macrumors member

12. ALMF thread starter macrumors regular

It shows up under my Apple ID when I sign in to iCloud.com

But when i try to synch and trasfer purchases it asks me for what looks like the password to someone elses Apple ID.

Should I return this and get a non Open Box one?

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

I was thinking of buying an open box MBA but I guess i'll pass. Thanks for the info.

14. ALMF thread starter macrumors regular

Returned it. There are now 2 open box Mac Minis at Best Buy in Destin, FL

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Open Box procedures dictate that the GeekSquad erase a unit to factory new before the unit is authorized for sale.

Now, if you change the business model to ensure your GeekSquad agents are playing an endless game of catchup, never have enough people on the schedule to perform those duties, you see exactly why I no longer work for the GeekSquad ;)

16. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

You should have been able to just wipe the drive and restore it to the factory setting.

17. rndman macrumors member

How you guys find it at that price I have no idea.
    My local BB did not have one and they said if they do it would be just 10% off.
    My local Micro Center has one for $495...
    With that price, why would one buy the open box ???

18. nollimac macrumors regular

nollimac

I suspected mine could have been in inventory for a while...that's why I did a clean install of Mavericks. Most people go to Best Buy to buy unused, unopened Apple products.

19. fredr500 macrumors regular

Best buy open box

There is an option that is a little hard to find that will let you see open box items at a specific store or anywhere in your area.

Att the top of the page click find a store, enter your zip code, then choose a store. From that page you can look at open box items, from there you can select all stores in the area.

Might save you some time and gas.

20. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

21. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I went looking and found an open box mini yesterday. Unfortunately, they wanted $506 for the base model. Just the Mac mini and power cable in a plastic bag. That would have been fine had it been a little cheaper. I've seen NIB Mac mini's for $550 lately and I can justify the $44 difference.

I just want Apple to refresh the unit and take my money for the full price...

22. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

Wish I saw this thread earlier.

No problems or worries with open box. I bought the i7 MM at BB, took it to the Apple Store and they reset it to factory condition. Then I purchased AC from the date of purchase. The MM came with the log on info from the previous owner. BB couldn't reset it so that's why I had to go to the store.

I wouldn't get BB geek squad as they are not that knowledgeable about Mac's.

Just because you buy an Apple product elsewhere, you still get the 1 year Apple Store warranty and 3 months phone support.

23. hudson1 macrumors 6502

Would others mind chiming in with their experiences with Best Buy open box Mac computers? I saw elsewhere a case where Apple, at least initially, refused some warranty coverage on a BB open box MBP claiming it was bought used. The one year warranty coverage did not start on the open box purchase date (gave them 90 days instead). Thanks.

24. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

IMOP don't buy open box from BB. They are a shady bunch. You never know what your going to get. Buy refurbished from Apple. You know it been refurbished the right way and it is cheaper.

25. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

A while back I bought my wife's MacBook Air 13" (2012) as an open box from Best Buy. Was in brand new condition. Full warranty.

I also bought a Mac Mini open box from them. It was wrapped in plastic wrap and had a scratch somewhere on it, but otherwise looked brand new, and I believe it also had the full warranty. I actually ended up returning that one within 30 days because I determined that I didn't really need it. So I can't comment on it beyond that.

I personally wouldn't worry about buying from them. Just make sure you're getting the full Apple warranty and that everything is working great while you're still able to return it to Best Buy. Also, make sure you're actually getting a deal. Some of the open box prices I'm seeing online for Best Buy aren't really much/any better than what you can get direct from Apple (for a refurb) or on sale.

As I mentioned in a previous post, they used to have occasional "take an extra 10% off open box items" coupons but I haven't seen one in quite a while. You can also try to haggle with a manager to knock more off the price, but I've never had luck with that personally.