Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daMachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
As the title says I'm trying to gain some clarity on Best Buy's Open Box Items.

I see a very low priced 15" rMBP on Best Buy's website with all the specs I would like (actually more). It's graded as "fair" and says "scratches" on "bottom." The price is simply great and would not be able to even consider this without it being open box discounted and NOT Geek Certified.

That said, the store is a bit of a drive for me and I don't feel that calling ahead to verify condition would be appropriate as someone else may decide to buy it before me once they are made aware [from my phone call].

This brings me to the question for those with experience buying (or selling) Best Buy open box items. Would "scratches" on "bottom" be referring to the bottom of the housing or of the display. I expect the housing to get scratched here and there during normal ownership so no problem, but I wouldn't want it with scratched up screen. Would Best Buy specifically state "scratches on screen" if that was the case?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
I'm not a Best Buy expert having never bought from them before, but I imagine it probably means scratches on the bottom of the laptop - not the screen.

I would be fairly confident that they would have specified if there were scratches on the screen.

Of course, I'd still inspect the machine if you get a chance.

daMachine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
OK. I went down to the Best Buy and took a look at the rMBP 15" i7 16/256 (2014). Didn't see a single scratch on it (maybe just something very light, but it seemed almost not even there). Seems like they didn't want to put any effort into it and just get it sold.

So, score for me about $1,400 after taxes and 10% rewards points from BB credit. Cheapest I've seen online if $1899 new plus taxes for me.

Really an unbelievable buy. Guess it pays to check it out sometimes. Good luck to any future open-boxers ...... I'm now a believer in open-box.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
OK. I went down to the Best Buy and took a look at the rMBP 15" i7 16/256 (2014). Didn't see a single scratch on it (maybe just something very light, but it seemed almost not even there). Seems like they didn't want to put any effort into it and just get it sold.

So, score for me about $1,400 after taxes and 10% rewards points from BB credit. Cheapest I've seen online if $1899 new plus taxes for me.

Really an unbelievable buy. Guess it pays to check it out sometimes. Good luck to any future open-boxers ...... I'm now a believer in open-box.

Awesome!

siroht

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Dallas
Yeah great buy!!! I just scored a excellent condition Macbook Pro 15 (2014) 16GB/256SSD for $1400 out the door. Not one single blemish or scratch!! They were going to charge me $200 more because they were sending it though the Geek Squad certification at the time I walked in the store. I told the Rep I wasn't going to pay a dime more than what was advertised on their site. He argued with me and said that the price online would have eventually changed right after GS did their magic.

Long story short...after talking to the store manager he agreed to let me have it at the original advertised price of $1492 and on top of using a BB mover's coupon (additional 10%) I believe I got a great deal on a $2000 MacBook Pro:D

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011

congrats, my air, rmbp, TB display, ALL BB ob lol

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
Yeah great buy!!! I just scored a excellent condition Macbook Pro 15 (2014) 16GB/256SSD for $1400 out the door. Not one single blemish or scratch!! They were going to charge me $200 more because they were sending it though the Geek Squad certification at the time I walked in the store. I told the Rep I wasn't going to pay a dime more than what was advertised on their site. He argued with me and said that the price online would have eventually changed right after GS did their magic.

Long story short...after talking to the store manager he agreed to let me have it at the original advertised price of $1492 and on top of using a BB mover's coupon (additional 10%) I believe I got a great deal on a $2000 MacBook Pro:D

wow looks like both you guys scored the same specs MacBook.

bestbuy openbox is pretty awesome. I scored one at 40% off AFTER tax on a 2012 model back in early 2013. so yea I would do this again in a heart beat.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood

Open box all the way. Once they didn't have the TBD I ordered so they gave me a new one at the open box price -$300 off for a NIB TBD monitor!
Let's try not to spread this too far though huh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.