Best Buy open box rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Coda9, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Coda9 macrumors newbie

I found a 15" rMBP 2.6/8/512 that is an open box item @ Best Buy. They are selling it for 2299 but I was told it was returned because the SSD went bad. It was replaced and factory reset and I ran some tests and everything seems to check out. I get the standard one yr warranty and they are allowing returns until Jan. 24. I don't know what exactly to look for for this other than to make sure that the storage holds up. What else should I be looking for? Should I be concerned about this SSD issue reoccuring?

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

It's a new SSD. Could fail. Probably wont. But it won't fail because the original did.

If all looks good, enjoy. You still have 12 months warranty.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

I wonder who did the repair ?

Most defective products are returned to Apple. I didn't think Apple would send a refurb back to a chain store.

4. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I built one on line its MSRP is $2,799 if you think its a good price doesn't show any signs of damage and a full warranty I'd say go for it!

5. Coda9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was told by the Apple Agent (he was wearing an Apple shirt, my guess is that he is an Apple employee but I honestly don't know) that it was sent into Apple to be fixed because Geek Squad can't do those types of repairs on Macs.

6. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

Hmm, yeah. That guy is an apple employee. Guess it's worth a shot!

7. Mac-Tech, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

I would not purchase it because of the 8GB Ram. If you are not aware with the RMBP's the RAM can not be upgraded in the long run. 2nd factor Apple will not return a defective Apple back to a retail store. So you need to question who did the repair. If it was a in house Tech I would run fast!!!

8. Coda9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am aware of the inability to make that change later. However, the 8 is more than enough for what I will need: some very light Photoshop usage and hardly ever more than 2 pages open at any given time w/ itunes.

However, I will be sure to have them clarify who fixed and where if they can provide that information.

9. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Good Deal, I snagged a 13" MBP Base for $825.00, I originally scored a Base 13 MBA for $1025, but then a week later got the deal on an open box 13" Base for 825 :)

Good luck, my unit was perfect not even 2 charge cycles on it.

10. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Well, the SSD is actually an easy replacement so the geek squad could have done the repair if needed.

All that is needed is to remove the bottom plate, unplug the battery, unscrew the torx on the SSD then removed and replace with a new one.

11. MrPlayer66 macrumors member

Those kinds of fixes are done in GeekSquad City in MN, specially when it comes to Apple products they're treated like royalty so rest assured that it'll be fine, I bought a 13" black Macbook and a 15.4" Macbook Pro back in 2008 both open items and refurbished, the Macbook Pro had actually gone trough a lot of repairs. Long story short they're still working quite well.

12. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

If you don't mind just having 8GB of RAM (I do), and everything checks out ok then I'd go for it.

13. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a good deal. Just check if the display is Samsung. If yes, buy it. I would also buy AppleCare from B&H just in case.

14. Coda9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went into an Apple store and asked them after Best Buy told me something like that MUST be fixed by Apple per their agreement and individual at the Genius Bar confirmed that as well.

How do I know that it is Samsung? Is it in the ID number? Thanks for the B&H tip it is cheaper there.