Best Buy Open Box

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LaCosta, May 23, 2016.

1. LaCosta macrumors member

Anyone here have experience with purchasing a Best Buy Open Box special?

Issues, concerns, or problems?

I do know that there is always Apple Refurbs which are certified.

Thanks.

2. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I did once, an iPad 2. It was still covered under warranty, too.

3. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I've never been a fan of Best Buy's "geek squad"... but any given BB's return policy (15 days), any open box item would still carry a very large portion of Apple's warranty... even if it was returned and sat at "on the shelf" for a month or so, it would still carry 10-11 months of Apple's new product warranty.

It should be a good way to save a few dollars.

4. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Open box should include the standard Apple 12 month warranty from the date you purchased it just like an unopened new product.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

Your warranty will be based on the original owners purchase date. I could not get Best Buy to give me the date and Apple would not let me register my MacBook without the date when I contacted them.

6. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

Don't leave the store without powering it up and make sure it's not Activation Locked...

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would check the warranty coverage as others have noted. You can check it here using the serial number.

8. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Just to add that you can test for that here: Check for activation lock (iCloud website)

9. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

I ended up with an open box from Best Buy 27" iMac 2TB Fusion Drive Late 2015..... Price....$1,495.

A customer return within the 15 day period. Original box, packaging, screen still had plastic wrap, stand had wrapper, etc.

Pretty good huh.

10. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Brilliant!
    Did you buy, or do you have a USB 3.0 (or Thunderbolt) external drive for Time Machine backups?

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nice, with BB's open box, i think the odds are very high that it was returned because the original buyer was unhappy with it or had some sort of buyers remorse.

BB would have sent defective units back to Apple

12. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

I have purchased two Best Buy open boxes - the first was several years ago when I bought a 2012 mini for $300. The box was open, but the computer was still wrapped in its plastic and all accessories were present. That machine is still serving me daily today :)

The second was a couple months ago when I got an Apple Watch for the wife. It was $250, and again, the watch itself was pristine and serves her well.

Go for it mate!

13. LaCosta thread starter macrumors member

YES! It was just a buyer remorse return. I asked the BB Manager and he stated the history. From inspecting the merchandise, clear it was hardly used. I determined that the Magic Mouse charge was over 90%....meaning little use other than unboxing (assuming it was only charged once). I determined that it was purchased within the 15 days by contacting Apple to confirm the story told by BB.

As for a Time Machine backup..... I have not yet. I am new to the Macs....getting set up and figuring up requirements. I might very well use an online backup scheme too.