Best Buy Open Boxes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ws07, Aug 14, 2013.

1. ws07 macrumors newbie

Hi - I know this probably isn't the ideal forum for this, but there's already lots of discussion on buying refurbs and open boxes in the run-up to Haswell...

I've seen a number of people post about "amazing" deals on open boxes at Best Buy. BB does make it easy to search for open box deals on its website which is great, but I haven't seen anything approach the $600+ discount that many people are referencing.

I'd like to ask if anyone has experience negotiating discounts beyond the "sticker" open box price? If not, are there special sales that people took advantage of?

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

You can definitely haggle open box items at BB, it's just at the discretion of the manager. Don't expect them to drop a huge chunk off the asking price. They will be more willing if you notice any cosmetic defects or missing items from the box.

I have seen 10% off open box coupons being discussed, but I don't think they've had that promotion since June.

The best you can do is ask a manager, the worst they'll say is no. You can always try other Best Buys in the area and get lucky.

3. Diana Prince macrumors member

Diana Prince

OP, if you're referring to any recent buzz (last few weeks), BB clearanced out a bunch of 2012 MBAs and rMBPs. Some people scored some MBAs for under $500 before tax, but many scored MBAs for around $600 after tax. Many were brand new in box. If the item was open box, they received an extra discount off the clearance price. Even more so, some people were able to use the $100 off student discount on the already reduced price. A few folks (like myself) found rMBPs for around $1000, that normally retailed at $2100. The final price was extreme YMMV. Some managers were flexible while others stuck to their guns. A few people even negotiated clearance prices for 2013 MBAs. Those folks were VERY lucky, but it never hurts to ask. :)

4. sholzer macrumors regular

My local best buy has a 2013 15" rMBP for 1599.99 and I've thought hard about going down there to haggle and see what if they'll lower the price anymore. But like someone else said, some people have had luck haggling and also using more coupons (thinking about the $100 off student coupon Bestbuy does in particular), but at the same time others have not. Worth a shot IMO