Best Buy - option for matte and/or high res?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by foulmouthedleon, Jan 13, 2011.

1. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Hi there, did a search and nothig came up, so figure I'll ask here. Am going to take the plunge and replace my 13" MBP with a 15" i5. I want to buy from Best Buy so I can finance it and so forth, but I can't seem to find an option to get the matte screen with the high res display.

I was told that if it's available on the web site, then it's doable. But figured I'd ask here as well. This isn't life or death, but figured as long as I was doing this, might as well pay an extra $150 for the matte option and some extra pixels.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Resellers don't usually carry BTO models and if they do, they often have just one model, e.g. matte i7. However, I wouldn't buy one right now. You already have 13" and new MBPs should be out in couple of months, so I would wait.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Sometimes the Apple Stores have these in stock. Best Buy doesn't carry due to the lower demand for matte screens (and they can only stock so much stuff).

Best bet would be to call the Apple Store first to see if they have it in stock, or can get it quicker than ordering online direct from Apple.

4. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Well my 13" MBP is actually gone, I sold it on ebay last week so I'm making due with my HP laptop. So essentially if I want a matte, I either order via Apple store/apple.com or see if I get lucky via ebay. Thanks for the quick response.

5. Adamthebum macrumors newbie

I actually just bought a 15" and I was looking for the base configuration with the hi-res antiglare screen and none of the best buys had it, nor did either of the apple stores (and store reps said that none of the stores carry the base models with the hi res antiglare screen, FWIW). I ended up getting a BTO from apple.

6. foulmouthedleon thread starter macrumors regular

foulmouthedleon

Ok I kind of feel like an idiot here. What is BTO?

I'm assuming it's not Bachman Turner Overdrive:D

7. ninjaboi21 macrumors member

Think it is Build To Order - not sure tho.

8. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Macmall can order them and you'll save on taxes

I got that same laptop and ended up ordering from apple because I didn't want to deal with the resellers

B&h photo probably has them

9. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

Don't buy it from Best Buy. I previously worked there and if you have to take your computer back for any reason, they'll give you hell. Also, don't let them talk you into getting black tie protection. You'd be better off buy Apple Care.

10. Miker2k macrumors regular

This. Built to Order.

11. puttputt macrumors regular

MacConnection normally has an ample supply of BTO matte screen models in stock.

12. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Best Buy only sells the glossy models, standard resolution. They don't offer any matte or high resolution models. Your best options are buying from Amazon, MacMall, MacConnection, B&H Photo, eBay, or shelling out full and going to Apple for the BTO if you have the extra cash.