Best Buy or Amazon?

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Hey guys,
I have a ton of best buy gift cards and amazon credits and would prefer to buy it from these retailers if possible.
Does anyone know when it becomes available from them?
Cheers,

PS. This is obviously talking about the new ipad.

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Hey guys,
I have a ton of best buy gift cards and amazon credits and would prefer to buy it from these retailers if possible.
Does anyone know when it becomes available from them?
Cheers,

PS. This is obviously talking about the new ipad.
It usually takes a while before amazon gets them. Best buy will have them immediately.

cpucrash0

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Texas
Best Buy should get it on launch day & amazon will probably not get the iPad ever. Only third party sellers will be selling it on amazon.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
Yeah best buy would have them earlier, but if you want to avoid paying tax I would go with Amazon. (unless you live in one of the states that amazon charges tax in or you live in one of those states that doesn't have sales tax).

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
It usually takes a while before amazon gets them. Best buy will have them immediately.
AFAIK, Amazon has never sold ipads themselves, the ones available are third party sellers. So you're right, it will be a while before they're available through Amazon.

When is it going to be available?
Since www.bestbuy.com says right on the front page that it'll be available in stores March 16th, I suspect that is when it will be available. But I could be wrong, and maybe someone here knows something different than Best Buy's website says. ;)

BluAffiliate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
AFAIK, Amazon has never sold ipads themselves, the ones available are third party sellers. So you're right, it will be a while before they're available through Amazon.

Since www.bestbuy.com says right on the front page that it'll be available in stores March 16th, I suspect that is when it will be available. But I could be wrong, and maybe someone here knows something different than Best Buy's website says. ;)
I don't see a button for online purchase.. or am I just blind?

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not sure you'll be able to buy it online from BestBuy on launch day. It might be a few days later. Besides, you wouldn't see an online order button yet unless they offer pre-orders.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors Pentium
Jul 16, 2002
Best Buy FTW between these two. Amazon doesn't sell iPads itself, only 3rd parties who list on Amazon. That has the potential to get sketchy. So you are imminently safer buying from BB plus you'll get all those RZ points to boot.

cpucrash0

macrumors regular
May 25, 2010
Texas
Yeah best buy would have them earlier, but if you want to avoid paying tax I would go with Amazon. (unless you live in one of the states that amazon charges tax in or you live in one of those states that doesn't have sales tax).
Amazon won't get the iPAD. They seem to not want to sell the iPAD because they want their Kindle Fire To sell. So Only Third Parties Will sell them and at a much Higher cost.

xTRIGGER092x

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Not sure about Amazon, but Best Buy definitely will have them launch day.

If there are going to pre-orders, however, that is uncertain. I've called two Best Buys in my area twice each since Thursday and have pretty gotten almost the same answer every time: they haven't gotten anything regarding preorders. So, we'll see about that this week. Some people are actually getting their names taken down on a list in some places, though.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
this is slightly off topic, and i apologize OP, but you may find this important :)

I'm considering buying the 16 GB from bestbuy in a few weeks (i have finals so my time is consumed), and well should we get warranty from apple or best buy or neither?

doboy

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2007
this is slightly off topic, and i apologize OP, but you may find this important :)

I'm considering buying the 16 GB from bestbuy in a few weeks (i have finals so my time is consumed), and well should we get warranty from apple or best buy or neither?
Neither unless you have butterfingers. Use a credit card that extends your warranty for 1 additional year.

technosexual

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2007
Amazon — no tax, but I would not deal with third party retailers.

I too want to save on tax, so I think I will wait until JR Electronics (New York Retailer) has them in stock to save on tax. It is not much in the scheme of things, but for the amount I would fork over in tax, I can get the next tier iPad.