Best Buy or Apple.com

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MikesMethod, Sep 28, 2008.

1. MikesMethod macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I am going to purchase an iPod Touch tomorrow. What I am wondering is should I drive 10 minutes to my local Best Buy or should I order off of Apple.com and get it in a week.

There are pros and cons to both. Also, Apple charges tax when you buy off of Apple.com. Am I right or am I wrong?

Please post saying where you think I should buy, why, and if Apple charged you tax if you have bought from their site.

2. madfresh macrumors regular

LOL. This is a no brainer. Just drive down to best buy and get it. I really do not see the point of waiting longer AND paying more.

3. MikesMethod thread starter macrumors newbie

Paying more? I really don't see what you are trying to say. I agree BestBuy would be much faster, but shipping is free with Apple and plus you get free engraving.

4. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

If you want engraving, why are you even considering Best Buy?

5. madfresh macrumors regular

Oh. I did not know the shipping is free.

Also, I wouldn't get the engraving as that may affect your ability to sell the ipod touch in the future if you decide to do away with it.

6. reubs macrumors 68000

While there's something cool about buying from an Apple Store, I'd say pick it up at BB. If something's wrong, you can return it easily. Also, you could get RZ points on the purchase if you're a member.

7. Tragedies macrumors 6502

If it says something like 'Happy Birthday' then it mgiht, but I'm sure it would boost the price if it had something neat or something ('Thou Shall Not Steal is one I've seen). xD

8. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

I ordered from Apple mainly because of the engraving, and it comes straight from the factory and not from factory to store (if it even matters). I plan on keeping the iPod for a long time, so I got it engraved with my name. So only engrave it if you plan on keeping it for a while. Either way, you pay the same amount of money (unless Best Buy sells it for $10 dollars less, my local Best Buy does I think). However, if there is a defect, you'd need to send it back or go to an Apple store if you bought it off Apple's website. If you buy it from Best Buy, you can get an exchange quicker (assuming they have it in stock, and they're not losers about it).

9. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

Go to best buy. I see no reason to order online and wait a week if you can just drive down and grab one and enjoy it that day.

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

Don't do business with Best Buy. That store has no redeeming qualities.

11. hexonxonx macrumors 601

No doubt abut it, go to BestBuy. Get it first thing in the morning.

Nothing wrong with BestBuy whatsoever other than a few mindless dolts working there who probably shouldn't be but that's beside the point. Sometimes that works to your advantage as in when you need to return something.

I returned a GPS last week and there was supposed to be a 15% return fee on opened boxes. The girl who processed my return opened the box and looked inside at the parts and closed the box and credited my card with the whole amount paid. :) I went across the street to CircuitCity and got the same GPS for about $70 less.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Did you know that just about anyone can get a company discount when ordering from Apple? Example, I work for an insurance company. I called Apple and ordered my 32GB Touch last week and I got 6% discount on the Touch, 8% discount on my accessories and a 12% discount on the Applecare. All I had to do is tell them what company I work for and they look it up and check if your job qualifies for a discount.
    The Apple retail stores give the discount as well. All you have to do is bring a copy of your paycheck stub for verification. They don't require verification if you phone in your order. They will even do the engraving over the phone.
    Call Apple first and see if you can get your company's discount before you go to Best Buy.

13. MikesMethod thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the input. I will probably go with BestBuy, but if I don't I'll make sure to do the company discount:)

14. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

I'd grab one at BB. I heard they have good warranty policy. Besides, you can always bring it to the genius should it have any problem. Best of both worlds.

15. MikesMethod thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm leaning toward bestbuy, but if I can't get into town this week (I am really busy) I think I'll go with Apple.com