Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Where would I have a higher probability of getting a 64GB 3G Ipad friday?

• Best Buy

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Apple Store

Votes: 39 68.4%

• Total voters

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Which one will most likely have stock? I would think Bestbuy because All the folks know where the iPad is available and most people do not think of going to BB?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Based on the WiFi launch, you're much more likely to get one at an Apple store. The BBs around here only had a couple of each size in stock and sold out very early.

However, I'm going to try my BB after work. I'd like the RZ points :D

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
I have one theory with no supporting data whatsoever. In general, Best Buy probably has a slightly down market demographic from Apple store in general. Might it make sense that they would order fewer 64GB and more of the less expensive units? Therefore perhaps there will be more chance of a 64GB at an Apple Store. Of course, I could turn that argument around and say that fewer people would buy 64GB at Best Buy so more will be left over.

Uh, I guess I just don't know. I want the same thing. I think I will go to the Apple Store... now, do I go to Domain or Barton Creek in Austin?

Lotus Esprit V8

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
New England
I don't expect Friday to resemble anything like April 3rd. However I would suggest not going to an Apple store that is located in a major city. The best bet would be either an Apple store in the suburbs or a Best Buy.

iKrl

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
Question

is it true that international customers that go to the u.s. apple stores can't buy an ipad?...heard a rumor about it... could you go to bb and buy it there?

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
is it true that international customers that go to the u.s. apple stores can't buy an ipad?...heard a rumor about it... could you go to bb and buy it there?

sounds wrong. i think it's bs. how would they even know that you're a foreigner as long as you have a valid credit card or enough cash?

harry*333

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Best Buy because when I check the stock of my local best buy they have yet to run out of the 64gb for wifi, probably because it is the most expensive model

AJayAgliolio

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
Too many variables to consider... it could depend on how many people live in your area, how far away the Apple Store and Best Buy actually are, how high is the demand in your area, how well did the WiFi unit sell there, how much stock will your local stores get, etc...etc...

It's anybody's guess at this point... Personally I'm trying my luck at Best Buy and I feel pretty confident I'll have one on Friday (of course I did take the day off with an understanding that I may be waiting in line for 5+ hours, :p )

One good thing about trying to find it at Best Buy though is that it really hasn't been advertised that Best Buy will even be selling them on Friday... if you aren't actively searching for iPad news or paying much attention to it, you would probably think that only Apple Stores carried them... maybe... hopefully... lol

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
For those getting their 3G at Best Buy, what has been your store's official time or 'procedure' for getting it? When I got mine on April 3rd I stood outside the store around 8:50am, around 9:55am an employee came outside and passed out purchase vouchers designating which gb size you wanted and then when the store opened at 10am we were directed to the customer service area to purchase our iPad. From what I am hearing this may or may not be the same case because I've also heard this whole 5pm on Friday thing- which means I should still get there early Friday morning and wait to get a voucher and then come back at 5pm...? Anyone else have thoughts or know?

AJayAgliolio

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
For those getting their 3G at Best Buy, what has been your store's official time or 'procedure' for getting it? When I got mine on April 3rd I stood outside the store around 8:50am, around 9:55am an employee came outside and passed out purchase vouchers designating which gb size you wanted and then when the store opened at 10am we were directed to the customer service area to purchase our iPad. From what I am hearing this may or may not be the same case because I've also heard this whole 5pm on Friday thing- which means I should still get there early Friday morning and wait to get a voucher and then come back at 5pm...? Anyone else have thoughts or know?

No definite answers from any of the BB stores I called (Central PA area)... one store say they might do tickets, one store said it's a first come, first served at 5 pm, and two other stores I called said they weren't sure that they were getting any in at all and that I should try calling back next week (pfft)

I'm going to try to call again later today and see if they have any new info... either way, I'm going to be at Best Buy about an hour before they open, just to play it safe.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
One I checked today said they are only getting the 64 3G models. he said about 30 units.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You know I reserved my WiFi @ the Apple Store in hope of getting a freebie like a shirt. I wanted to kick myself when I was standing in line on launch day and someone told me the BB across the street was handing out 3x RZ point coupons with the reserve ticket. That's about $30 in points, enough for a case.

Now I have no idea if they'll do that for the 3G -- or even if that was what this one store did or if it was nationwide -- but if they did repeat that promo it would be the place to buy it no doubt.

(Of course I understand there are plenty of people here who figure $30 off on a $600+ device is no big deal when Apple is giving out free Karma with each purchase, but hey, I'm a sucker for material freebies).

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
It's funny how even though Best Buy and the Apple Store are nationwide chains, each store seems to vary with regards to in-store promotions (free t-shirt, reward zone coupons etc). I wish they all had one uniform policy...

Baltika09

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Well I just stopped by the Best Buy near me and the supervisor told me, "they'll know by 2:30pm tomorrow, whether they'll have any for sale." ...:-l gimmi an ***** break! I'll just go to the Apple Store instead. If Best Buy wants to play this game, screw em, they won't get my business!

iKrl

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
sounds wrong. i think it's bs. how would they even know that you're a foreigner as long as you have a valid credit card or enough cash?

Just checking 'cause I really didn't believe it either but I'm planning on going and I really don't want any surrprises
thanks anyways
does anyone else have any other ideas?

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
So far no news announcements about the 3g iPad other than on Apple Tech and rumor internet sites. I'm thinking it'll be no problem to get one if you go at 5pm Friday.
They will be gone by the end of the weekend though.

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
My local BB said that they will allow a line to form inside the store near the Apple section anytime during the day. They will start selling at 5. No tickets or anything like that. They were cagey about stock. I overheard the Apple guy say that they had 15, were promised they will have at least 30, but could be more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.