Best buy or Apple store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chaslam, May 7, 2010.

1. chaslam macrumors regular

Im over in the US travelling at the moment and im planning on getting an ipad as it will work out about £80 cheaper then in the UK where im from. According to the best buy website there is a store fairly close to me that have them in stock. Is their website usually fairly reliable when it comes to stock? Also, is there any disadvantage or getting one through best buy rather then an offical apple store? do I lose out on anything? Also Does anyone know if the warrenty will cover me in the UK? Im fairly sure Apple Warrenty is worldwide but im not 100% sure.

Cheers guys.

2. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

In my encounters their website is usually accurate. You can always order it on their website and select in store pick up.

3. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I prefer the Apple store shopping experience. Maybe it comes with being a gadget freak. :)

Standing in the middle of the store, they scan with their iPhone reader, they swipe card thru their iPhone reader, I walk out with goodies, receipt emailed :D

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

80% but get there before the doors open. warranty is worldwide.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

6. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. They have been showing them in stock for the last 2 days so im sure they will have them in. Going to go as soon as I wake up so should be pretty early. Its the wifi one rather then the 3G and although i would like the 3G, I dont think i can justify the extra cost.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If money Is tight, sure, but remember the 3G has no contract and a real gps chip. May or may not be worth the extra $120, but my motto is better to have it and not need it than néed it and not have it.

Good luck!

8. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

HHmm yes true, however i have a 3G wireless router (which i pay £5 for 3GB for) i can take with me, and money is very tight! Ive just been travelling round the world for 3 months and literally have nothing, its going on the credit card haha. Plus if I wanted a 3G one I would probably have to wait til I get back to the UK and would work out a hell of alot more. Im heading to NY on wendesday and I see that pretty much nowhere in NY have any in, so im thinking its better to get it before i get there to avoid dissapointment.

Its really only for movies on long journeys and going on the internet on the couch and in bed etc, so should be fine with the wifi one fingers crossed. Ive got an air at the moment so im going to see if I like it when I get back, and if I do get on with it I will easily be able to sell for the price i pay for it back in the UK anyway.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That motto is a double edged sword. A WiFi owner could say the same to you about the extra $130.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Hope you enjoy your iPad!

Jealous of your traveling all over the world. To tied down in my world, it will never happen. Keep us posted on your adventures with your iPad.

11. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

Right went to get one but they had sold out. Rang them today and they have have 32GB ones in. Now have to decide weather to go with that or risk the 64gb!

12. Battlestar macrumors 6502

If you want a WiFi only you should be okay. But the 3G is in very high demand and out of stock in most places.

13. TwoFive3 macrumors member

Just picked up a 16gb 3G a couple of hours ago at Best Buy!

14. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Lucky. All the BB stores in my area are out.

15. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

Got one! 32GB ipad. Thought that if I got home and decided that I needed the 64 or3G i could sell it for more then i paid!

16. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

What store?

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yeah! what store?

(sort of like lottery odds :D )

18. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

Erm Glendale LA. The guy said that they are expecting shipments of different models throughout the next few days but I only have 1 day left in LA, so wanted to get one.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The $130 i can earn or save. The gps chip, 3G radio and extra space ain't no way I am getting those into an iPad that doesn't already have them. Ever. :D

20. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

And it's impossible to ever buy a different gadget for the rest of your life

21. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

And not to mention the monthly payment you'll owe the carrier of your choice :rolleyes: it's not "just" an extra $130

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

As opposed to being connectionless outside of wifi range? I'll pay to play. :cool:

23. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

My thoughts exactly. I *ALWAYS* want the option.

24. chaslam thread starter macrumors regular

In the UK I have a mifi device which will turn a 3G sim into a portable wireless router. I pay £5 a month for 3GB with that, which I can carry in my pocket. Much cheaper then any ipad wifi tariff, which is 1 reason I didnt go with a 3G one.

25. VvCompHelpvV macrumors member

First off right before you go to best buy, if that's the route you are going to take, and see if they have any in stock. My local best buy said they had stock on e website, but when I called, they said they never have stock. That they are always sold out same day in minutes.

So I overall suggest going to an apple store. I went the day the 3G was released and they had plenty in stock even after the big lines. 8)

Where ever you decide to go, call first.