Best Buy Pre-Order (Reserve) Clarification Please

Discussion in 'iPad' started by triplecore1, Mar 13, 2011.

1. triplecore1 macrumors member

I heard many different things about getting the iPad 2 through Best Buy, I am hoping I can please get some clarification if possible. l Pre-Ordered (aka reserved) my 64GB Black AT&T, because after waiting 3 hours outside an Apple store they ran out of AT&T models when I got to the store entrance. Weird right, I would think the WiFi only would go first and of all the 3G version not the 64, more likely the 16.

Anyway I tried a few more time at other stores the next day and gave up on the Apple Retail store; and Reserved mine through Best Buy. At the Best Buy store they said that seperate shipments will be designated for Pre-Order customers and walkin customers; and no estimate can be given.

When I canceled my online Apple order, they said Best Buy would probably be the last to get them as "she was pretty sure Apple online had priority so I would be waiting over 3-4 weeks."

When I called Best Buy to verify some facts about Pre-Order they said that all shipments of iPads will be designated to Pre-Order customers first. The man on phone said orders should be coming in frequently since Best Buy is also apart of the Best Buy supply chain.

Can someone explain me what the Best Buy Pre Order means exactly? Like will I be more lucky getting it through Apple Online? And will shipments to Best Buy really first be reserved for pre-order customers?

thanks,

2. dudeman74 macrumors newbie

wait if they are going to have a separate supply only for walk in customers, then whats the point of reserving?

3. triplecore1 thread starter macrumors member

Thats my point, but Best Buy seems to be as tight lipped as apple or they just don't know whats happening so they make their own story which I noticed is something that happens at best buy very often when they don't have an answer. I just hope I can get a iPad 2 soon...

4. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

If it is anything like the iPhone 4 was at best buy they will just continue to do reservations until they get caught up and all inventory will be designated to the reserved iPads.

The reason for not giving a date is that they have no idea when apple will be shipping them orders, they know they will be continually getting shipments, but not of which models.

5. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

I work at a Best Buy and our staff has absolutely no idea when iPads will be getting restocked.

6. deadstockmarket macrumors regular

deadstockmarket

I just preordered mine at Best Buy today as well. This is what they told me: When a shipment comes in, they will allot all the stock to preorders first, giving them 48 hours to come and pick up their item. If there are remaining units that aren't preordered, they'll sell them to walk in customers.

They gave me a timetable from tomorrow to three weeks from now so they basically said it's up to Apple on when they send them more units.

Oh by the way, they did say that the boxes they get them in come in sets of 5. I was #4 on the list for my particular model and was guaranteed that I would get one in the next shipment.

Hope this helps or at least matches up with what someone else was told.

7. triplecore1 thread starter macrumors member

Yes it does; I can't wait for mine to come. I hope it won't take longer than ordering through Apple because I canceled my order since it quoted 3-4 weeks.

Btw are you or anyone else still checking at retail stores? just wondering :D.

8. brettatk macrumors regular

I find it hard to believe that they aren't going to allocate any iPads to any of the Best Buys before 3-4 weeks. Even if it's a very small amount I'm betting Best Buy will get shipments before then and those will go towards the people who reserved them. I also find it hard to believe walk ins could get an iPad if there were still people with reservations waiting. I of course could be wrong, I guess we'll find out.

9. triplecore1 thread starter macrumors member

Same, but I just haven't heard of anyone getting a iPad 2 yet from Best Buy Pre-Order.

I hope mine won't come 5 weeks later, where I could have/ should have just order online...

10. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Apple didn't get any...
    So, how do you all expect best buy to have units to cover those 100s of people's demands?

Apple.com and apple store are apple's priority.

4-5 weeks may sound bad, but it is a good thing that you got a time frame. Best buy? Nope... none.