Best buy Protection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BMMAC027, Mar 17, 2015.

1. BMMAC027 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Has anyone looked into the Best Buy protection plan vs the appleplan? Best buy will cover and fix everything from dropping the mac or spilling water on it which costs 300$ for 2 years. Trying to figure out if buying a protection plan is even worth it, and which one I should purchase.

Thanks for any info!

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If you bought it with a credit card, you may already be protected to some degree. Check your CC terms.

Failing that, check with your home or renter's insurance. If covered, you may have to just get the new laptop added into your existing policy.

Those are the cheapest options.

3. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

Depends on your daily habits on using your mac. Are you the type of person that eats/drinks while you use the computer? Do you carry your laptop around a lot without a protective case? If those are the cases then yeah get that accidental coverage, but personally I would just be a little more careful and cautious when operating a four digit investment.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

The answer for me has been easy, get a protection plan for any hardware purchase over $1000 or any repair that would cost more than the cost of a protection plan. My vehicle/renter's insurance and business insurance covers theft to a degree. I priced the replacement of a rMBP display and decided the cost of AppleCare was worth it. I've heard good things about the Geek Squad option, and a Best Buy is here on the island I live and work on (it's a 15 minute walk away).

AC for my rMBPs was $244 from B&H Photo or Amazon, and that's less than I charge for an hour of my labor to my clients, so it was worth it - even if it was out of my own pocket, I'd pay that just to feel better. On resale I can always ask a bit more, and the buyer will never know I got my AC at a steep discount. Friends of mine love BB's insurance. My business partner doesn't believe in insurance for electronics - and that's why he's using my good old loaner iPhone 5 after his GNex died and a cheap laptop to sub in for his PC that died...