Best Buy Register Lotto

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sun Baked, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

These days I feel like I'm playing register lotto when I go buy something out of Best Buy's bargain bin.

Get to the register, and see a bunch of unexpected prices, ask them where those price were posted. Right there, they say, "And Up" that is the price you are paying.

What is the dollar amount clearly posted on or near the item for sale, "It is And Up."

How am I to know how much I am going to pay if there isn't a price on the product, "You'll pay And up, silly."

How come this item from the bin has an actual $ price marked on it, "It isn't an And Up price."

I gave up, don't have a clue how the words "And Up" relate to a dollar amount at Best Buy...

Figured it was easier to let the state department of weights and measures figure it out. They play register lotto a bit different than Best Buy, they write the actual posted prices down on each item they buy and see if the store will win or lose this round of register lotto.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never heard of this, Best Buy Lotto? Is it some sort of promotional thing?

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hmm, I was under the impression that businesses were required to mark prices on all merchandise.

4. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

never heard or seen this at any of the Best Buy locations that i frequently visit

5. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That was my thought, clearly marked on or near the merchandise for sale.

But Best Buy put in a couple discount bins "$4.99 & up" for movies, and one for music.

And simply tossed in stuff off the shelf that they were getting rid of. Only the stuff at $4.99 was priced.

Anything above that price isn't marked, so you have no idea what number will come up on the register til you try to buy it -- thus I felt like I was waiting to see what was going to be my lucky lotto number.

Basically told, the price is marked with "and up" you have to pay the number that comes up on the register, because this is how corporate told us to sell them.

Wasn't just the register person saying this, but the managers at the store.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Sounds like a load of ....

I suppose you could file a complaint with the BBB. I'm not sure what other remedy you could seek.

7. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

Ah ok .. Now I see what you are talking about.. The bins are stupid .. If anything they should put a range from 4.99 -9.99 that way you at least know you won't be paying more than x dollars

8. Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Funny how after Best Buy said that corporate told them to do it this way and they have no intention of changing anything...

Suddenly they are pricing all the movies in the bargain bins here now.

And that they passed the pricing accuracy inspection with flying colors.

Then today I walk in try to buy 3 movies off the shelf, get hit with 1 movie being double the posted price.

Have the manager walk out look at the price only to see the lower price on the shelf, so she peels the sticker off and then says, "sorry, you'll have to pay the higher price now."

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would have handed her all 3 movies and said, "No, thanks" and walked out without buying a damn thing.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I would complain to corporate. You might get something good out of it if you're a loyal customer. I hate Best Buy... Partially because of their online vs. in-store price nonsense (not sure if they still do that and things are easier to compare prices with smartphone now) and I'm not quite sure the other reason- perhaps because it's one of the only stores left to buy a (higher quality) TV.

11. Sun Baked, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

Sun Baked thread starter macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't have to complain to corporate now.

They failed a UPC price accuracy inspection today. And will face a civil penalty.

I'm quite sure that corporate knows a customer has a valid complaint.

The inspector saw the same thing I was seeing about the problem with the way they were handling the bargain bins. And the accuracy on some of their sale priced items.

I would have complained to corporate, but Best Buy makes it rather difficult, you need to sign up for an account on their forum to get any hope of a response. Even tried sending an email to their store general manager, only to find out that he doesn't work there anymore.

And that movie that they wouldn't give me for the sale price, went into another Best Buy because this one had pissed me off so much, they had the same movie for $2.99 and let me buy it for that price -- then immediately took off the sticker.