Best Buy relaunching trade-in offer for 'free' iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beelzbub, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I apologize if this is in the wrong place or if its has already been mentioned, feel free to delete this if it has, but I came across this and figured it was worth sharing.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/06/19/best-buy-free-iphone-trade-in/2439665/

Looks like starting tomorrow lasting for 9 days, if your eligible for an upgrade, you can trade in your old iPhone 4 or 4S and get a free iPhone 5, then again I have not had much coffee yet this morning so I could be reading it wrong.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You are reading it correctly. A good deal if you need a new phone.

3. Fusion79, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

Fusion79 macrumors 6502

It's a good deal. We did this to upgrade my wife from a Verizon iPhone 4 when they did this a couple weeks ago. Zero hassle. Basically get to upgrade to a new model after two years for zero out of pocket.

Yeah, might have been able to get a little more for it on Craigslist but to me a few more bucks is not worth the hassle or risk. This just happened at a busy mall not far from me. Man held up at gunpoint was waiting for Craigslist car buyer. http://www.omaha.com/article/20130619/NEWS/130619595

4. SONiC5 macrumors regular

Crap, I'll be eligible for an early upgrade in 11 days, 2 days after this deal ends. Oh well, I'm not mad, I'm waiting for the next one anyway.

5. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

Not long ago, an Apple partner said that they will be launching a similar trade in program. I think that it is geared toward those that don't want to sell their devices themselves and don't mind that the next model may be released in the next two to three months. You'll need to be eligible for an upgrade and you will have the latest, greatest for a short period of time. Do consumers know where their old devices going and the price that they're being sold for? I'll wait and sell it myself.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Wish I had known this 2 days ago. I just upgraded to the iPhone 5 at the Sprint store for $47.00. I could have saved myself a few bucks with Best Buy. Oh, well.

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Agree. Sure you could sell it on your own but there are fee's, hassle's and risks involved. My daughter is using my OLD iPhone 4 and it's home button is "starting" to act up so before it breaks completely we're trading it in this weekend for a shinny new white 5.

8. Fusion79 macrumors 6502

Yup, and what is nice is the cosmetic condition does not really matter for these trade-in deals. When we did it all they had to check was the display was not cracked and it powered on. They activated the new phone and once we got it setup they allowed me to wipe the old one before giving it to them for good. It was about as hassle free as you can get.

9. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I was going to ask about whipping the old phone. Thanks for the info!

10. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

I think if you whipped it the deal would be off.

11. Val-kyrie, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013

Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Advice?

I currently have a Verizon iPhone 4 32GB, black, mint condition, no scratches, no physical defects. It has been in a Griffin Survivor Case since purchase except to clean it occasionally. My contract with Verizon ends this month on the 26th. I have considered buying a new phone instead of upgrading because I don't want to lose my unlimited data plan that I have, but would it be possible to use the Best Buy trade-in program and maintain my current plan or will I be forced into a new contract?

[Edit: Link stated new 2 year plan is required; kills that idea.]

On the other hand, what would my phone fetch, do you think? I have also considered waiting to see the 'lower-cost iPhone' Apple is rumored to release and then purchase it for use on Straight Talk. Verizon's service is the best in my area, but their pricing is exorbitant and ST uses their network here.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

what a ripoff. sell the phone on craigslist. pocket the cash. and buy the phone.

13. deeddawg macrumors 603

Search ebay Completed / Sold listings for same model and condition to get a good feel for selling prices. Then use one of the ebay fee calculators (google the term to find one) to estimate your probably net in-pocket.

14. webwbr macrumors member

Maybe I am understanding it wrong or does it seem like this is only a good deal if you have a 16GB model currently... Oterwise owners if 32 or 64 go down to 16 GB.