Best Buy replacement battery-is it Mercury-Free?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Imola Ghost, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

When I bought my 13" MBP back in June of 2009, I also purchased Best Buy Performance Service Plan. It includes the replacement of the battery should it fail and this one has about 2.5 years later.

Upon calling Best Buy which was very easy and they are/were great to work with. I ended up getting them to send me a new battery however no one can tell me whether this new replacement battery is mercury-free, I see that it is Pb-Free on the actual battery but I don't see that it's mercury-free.

I do not mind having a comparable replacement battery but I do feel that if it is NOT mercury-free then it does not meet the manufacturers specifications. I've sent them an email and they could not tell me other than to call a certain number which I did but even she could not tell me. I've searched online about this battery and came back with nothing.

Their warranty is states.

Here is a link to the battery they are replacing it with although they sent me the wrong battery! Here's what they sent:

http://www.partstore.com/Part/AE+Select/AE+Select/GSA1185A/New.aspx

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't trust or recommend any battery that didn't come from Apple, but it looks like you're stuck with BestBuy.

3. 184550 Guest

That would seem, IMO, to absolve them of any responsibility to make sure the battery is mercury-free.

If I may ask, why does it matter?

EDIT:

Upon another reading, perhaps the 'at our discretion' refers to the 'new' or 'used' condition of the replacement. Or perhaps it's deliberately ambiguous.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think rechargeable lithium batteries ever had mercury in them.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

+1. Yet another reason not to buy one of their warranties for me.