Best Buy Return Help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by trixter11, Jul 13, 2009.

1. trixter11 macrumors newbie

I bought a 16GB iPhone 3GS from Best Buy without a contract last week and paid $600. I had some issues with the home button and so I went to Apple and they gave me a brand new sealed one for replacement.

After thinking for awhile, I decided that I don't want an iPhone anymore because it is just going to be too expensive for me. So I want to return the new replacement to Best Buy. The Best Buy receipt though has the original phone's IMEI number on there. So my question is, would I still be able to return the new replacement phone to them since it is factory sealed, or will they give me a hard time because the IMEI's don't match?

Thanks for the help.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

Did you get paperwork from Apple about the exchange? Can you bring both that AND the BB receipt as proof?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree with the other poster, you need to provide a paper trail on what transpired. Even then they may give you a bit of a hassle in returning it, when the IMEI numbers don't match up

4. trixter11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did get a sheet from Apple after the exchange but it doesn't have anything about the IMEI or serial number even. All I have is the Best Buy receipt...

5. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

The confirmation apple should have given you should show the Model and Serial number of the original... followed by the replacement Serial ID and IMEI under the "Repair Estimate" portion....

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I had the same type of situation with the Apple store. They only needed the original receipt and original IMEI number.

However... I bought it there as well... maybe Best Buy will be different.

I think you should bring your genius bar receipt and your original Best Buy receipt.

7. trixter11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a sheet from Apple stating that info, maybe I lost it :(. Would it still be possible to return the replacement since it's still sealed?

8. DanielNTX macrumors 6502

Go to Apple and have them print that confirmation of exchange again.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It's "Worst Buy", prepare for a fight. You'll probably also get hit with a 10% or 15% restocking charge which is their policy for cell phone returns.

10. trixter11 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not worried about the restocking fee because I asked the best buy rep before I bought the phone if I would be charged and he said I wouldn't be if the phone was still sealed, which it is.

The apple store is very far from where I live so I'd rather head to best buy and see if they can return the replacement, but even they are pretty far. Anyone know for sure if there is a chance I can return the replacement?

11. bredfan macrumors newbie

Forgive me for saying, but this sounds about as fishy as it gets. Nothing personal, just my cynical nature I guess.

In any case, the only way this is going to work is if you bring your Apple paperwork, showing the exchange, to Best Buy (this can be easily obtained by going back to the Apple store and asking for a copy). Even then, don't expect the process to be painless by any means.

12. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

It's obviously not sealed anymore because you have a different phone that the original one that you bought. You exchanged it after having a hardware issue. You will be charged the restocking fee.

13. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

HUH? Did they (Apple) give you a BRAND NEW PHONE in a factory sealed retail package or a "white box" swapped reconditioned phone? If it is an original retail factory sealed package you might pull off your scam but if it's not you're SOL for at best a 15% restocking fee or at worse they'll send you home with nothing.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

And are you saying that the Apple Store didn't open the box and change out your sim or anything? They gave you a SEALED box? I thought most of the time they would "get you going" so to speak with the replacement rather than just send you out the door. Especially if you returned the original for a defect. Maybe I'm wrong in assuming that

15. trixter11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple gave me a brand new sealed iphone in it's retail package guys. They told me they didn't have replacements so they gave me a new one. How is what I'm doing a "scam" MisterEdF? Are you just trying to cause a problem? Seriously, there is no need for stupid assumptions.

I will just head over to Best Buy and just try to return the phone since no one seems to really know if I can return it or not.

16. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

Well "Trixter", If it quacks like a duck and looks like a duck .... it's a duck.

17. bredfan macrumors newbie

I tend to agree with this statement.

Most replies have stated, in order to return the phone to BB, you're going to need your Apple paperwork. This is common sense. At least for those not intent on doing something less than ethical. You, on the other hand, seem to be looking for a way around this.

To quote MisterEdF: If it quacks....

Just sayin......

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

If it quacks... get some gwooo. Quacking is a pwoblem with da iFone ThweeGee. They shouldn't use such weak pwastic.

19. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

LMAO :D

20. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Why didn't you buy the phone at Apple to begin with?

Sealed? And Apple didn't activate it in their system?

Seriously, where'd you find/get the phone?;)

21. MxChino macrumors member

Why would you even take the phone to Apple in the first place for a hardware problem if it's so far away?? You could of just gone to Best Buy and exchanged within your first 30 days.

22. bossxii macrumors 68000

First off you stated you purchased from Best Buy, so the iPhone you have now is not from Best Buy so they likely won't take it as a return, as you said number don't match. IF the Apple store is "very far away" as you mentioned why did you take a phone from BB to Apple vs just returning/swapping it out at BB?

I guess if it's worth $600 bucks you will get the proper paperwork from the Apple store. Then again why not just call the BB you purchased it from? They can probably give you the answer :)