Best Buy sent me the wrong IPad2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tsungo, Dec 1, 2011.

1. tsungo macrumors newbie

Aloha I ordered a 16gb wifi+ATT 3g ipad 2 from Best Buy on Black Friday for 579 plus tax. I ordered it as a gift for a friend in Manila, where the only use GSM data. I opened the ipad box and synced the ipad to my mac mini. I then noticed that Best Buy had sent me a 64gb wifi+Verizon 3. I love the accidental upgrade , however Verizon is CDMA and wont work in the Philippines. Should I just send it back to Best Buy for an exchange, order another 16gb att 3g and sell the Verizon 64gb or just order another 16gb ATT and keep the 64gb Verizon as a Christmas gift to myself. I don't really need an Ipad but its a great baragin.

2. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Step one-Sell!!
    Step two-Profit!!
    //devil horns//

3. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Well it depends. Do you want to profit from someone's mistake, or do the right thing?

4. tsungo thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess i should ask myself "what would best Buy do?"

5. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Best Buy would profit ;)

6. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Why would you ask that? BB is not the customer.

Look, we all know what you're going to do. You're going to keep the unit for yourself, or sell it for a profit, because if you have to come here and ask total strangers what you should do, you're actually looking for people to encourage you and justify screwing over Best Buy. And no matter how many people tell you to be honest, it won't matter. Just save everyone the time and effort and keep it.

7. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

This guy is awesome!! Best advice ever on Macrumors:D

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Given how many times we see these kinds of posts from people who just registered on the forums, I'm more inclined to write this off as a fake scenario posted by a bored troll.

9. darster Suspended

Hey guess what happened to me. I bought a Ford Focus and the dealer gave me a 2012 400hp V8 mustang by mistake. What should I do?

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Return it, because you can't afford the gas it will guzzle :)

11. bufffilm macrumors 68040

bufffilm

bored troll who registered in 2008...doesn't really fit the profile but who really cares? [shrug]

agree with IllIllIll...and the fact that the OP is asking himself "what would best Buy do?" (which makes zero sense) already tells you direction he's likely to go down. so just do it already...creating a thread is a stupid.

12. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I think he was referring to the total number of posts: 2, as opposed to the register date, and he is correct. Another troll thread, by another troll.

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I wonder if this thread is some great new form of marketing from Best Buy. I wonder how many sales of the "16GB Wifi + 3G" iPad will result from optimistic Macrumongers reading this? :p

14. iRCL macrumors 6502

If it's a gift, then why the hell would you open it and sync it to your own computer?

15. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

haha seriously?

Dude sell it make money, buy the right one in person. Best buy is not a mom and pop store.

16. number84 macrumors 6502

depends on who it's being gifted to....some ppl don't have computers or don't know how to set it up....i guess you don't need a computer now for iOS5, so first problem solved i suppose...

17. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

Neither is Apple. Do you advocate screwing them too when the opportunity arises?

18. Gol27 macrumors regular

In a word.. Yes! We all know these things are highly priced. If I manage to get an accidental upgrade all the better. Really don't think it will affect their $80 billion or so reserves.
    Annoys me that people see apple as this holier than thou company. They would quite happy screw over small businesses if it had a strategic benefit to them.. Or are we forgetting the guy who tried to sell the old apple prototype on eBay which apple demanded back?!

19. misdy macrumors member

It's not really screwing them, it's teaching them to be more meticulous and observant in the long run. I think Best Buy is getting the better deal here.

20. EchoTheDolphin macrumors newbie

Actually what you're doing is costing the person who prepared the shipment his job.

Trust me, when I was in the business I made a mistake and it was only due to the customer's honesty that I kept my job.

If you dropped your wallet wouldn't you want someone to return it to you? Why just because it's a company in business to make money it's ok? (Don't you work for a profit too?)

21. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

So if you shoplift and get away with it, it's OK because it's teaching the store to be more meticulous and observant in the long run, and it's the store's own fault anyway because they missed catching you?

Your amorality is pretty astounding.

22. davedvdy, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

davedvdy macrumors regular

Could be a double edged sword.

Sometimes when mistakes are caught it makes matters worse For the employee (eg when A friend of mine gave a customer $100 more than he should've on a drawer). The Customer reported it to the LP department and he was fired even though the money was recovered. Obviously he would've gotten in trouble anyway when the drawer was counted.

I'm not endorsing dishonesty, but thats the truth in that situation. It could go either way.

23. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

You don't teach children do you?

24. henchman macrumors 6502a

I love the self-righteous responses here.
    As if THEY wouldn't sell it, and keep the profit.

25. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

no one here can really tell you what to do (nor should they), and it seems like you know what you want to do, so do it.

i will say though that peace of mind is priceless.