Best Buy today

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cobalt50, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Cobalt50 macrumors member

I was in the local Best Buy today. I asked one of the clerks if they were selling many Apple watches. He said they were. Also I went to the Apple display area. There was a MBA 13" on display but no 11". There was a 12" Macbook. Guess the Macbook has supplanted the MBA 11" at BB at least.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

FWIW,
    Apple still carries the 11" MBA, but I agree with you, there's too much overlap and the 11" MBA is a little long in the tooth, where as the rMB is a new machine.

3. Cobalt50 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I thought it was interesting that they were selling a lot of Apple watches. It's been said that they are a flop. I also wondered that at first Apple sold the watch as a fancy, exclusive accessory. Now they are selling them in BB. If that was the plan all along it is kind of cynical. Eventually, that will catch up to Apple.

Apple's position, as far as I can tell, is that they sell a high-end product to a discerning customer at a high-end price. They want to be the Mercedes of electronics. Apple is pretty much a cell phone company now. Sure they sell them at a high price. But they are still mass marketers. A lot of low income people buy the iPhone. They do it because they are cool and the price is wrapped into the monthly payments. So, in a way, Apple is not really working it's model.

People wonder if Apple will discontinue the MBA now that the MB is out. In that one BB it sure has. So that would indicate the MBA is on it's way out the door. Especially if Apple makes a larger MB too. Think of it. Is a store going to sell two varieties of the MB and also the two old versions of the MBA. I doubt it.

4. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

On the BB site, there are a lot of positive reviews of the watch; this product might actually have legs.

5. Cobalt50 thread starter macrumors member

I suppose the Apple watch might be more than a passing fancy. I think it depends on what gets developed for it. I, for one, have very little interest in it. In fact, I strive to be less connected. I also have a number of conventional watches that I enjoy wearing. I love an analog watch face in a rugged case.

6. Wondercow macrumors 6502a

Apparently the Apple Watch sold more units in six months than all other competitors--combined--have sold in a year