best buy vs. school

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pterodactyll, Jul 25, 2008.

1. pterodactyll macrumors newbie

I've been a windows user since the fourth grade and now I am ready to make the leap into the mac world after my sony vaio laptop died on me earlier this year. I am going into my third year of college and am eyeing the black macbook.

So, I work at a certain electronic retailer. From the name of this thread you can figured out I work part-time at Best Buy. i know, i know. please keep the hoots and hollering to a minimum. I can either buy my macbook at my store or get it at my school. I am planning on getting the additional service plans as well applecare or bby service plan. At Best Buy there is a next-to-nothing discount--let's just say I would be paying about $1450. I do have about $75 in reward zone coupons that I could use. At my school I can get is for $1299.

I know about the educational discount with the free ipod going on, but I already have my ipod (4th generation 20gb w/click wheel, oh yeah!).

The reason I would pay more and get it at my store is because of the accidental service plan. Who knows what will happen to my comp and I know the guys at Geek Squad who would be working on it for me.

So, buy my macbook at best buy or at my school?

btw--just checked our employee news and our corporate says the internet and blogs are speaking about potential upgrades to the macbook line, but our company has not heard anything from apple. yet.

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'd definitely wait a couple of weeks for the update.

Doesn't BB let you use a student discount if you show your student ID?

3. pterodactyll thread starter macrumors newbie

no, bby is issuing a $200 gift card with the purchase of a mac and ipod touch with proof of student/faculty.

4. muldul macrumors 6502

I would say buy it from best buy if it means you get more support for break down, but does this only apply whilst you are working for them? If so, i would get it from your school as you will have the standard one year warranty and you can buy applecare.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The Best Buy warranty depending on the location and closeness to your school might make more sense...

6. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I recently just bought my new MacBook from Best Buy, and they were great. I got a 10% discount with my sister's student ID, and the price turned out to be lower than what it would've been at Apple.

7. Bigsam411 macrumors member

He would get the support for a two or three year period depending on what he picks. Its just an accidental damage service plan that he would get. I had to make the same desicion last year when I picked up my MBP as I work for them as well. I ended up spending more money in the long run but have more coverage on the laptop. When my hard drive failed the service center even managed to upgrade the hard drive from a 120gb to a 160gb due to them not having any 120's in stock.

8. pterodactyll thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice. i'll most likely get the macbook at bestbuy and any software i need at my school.

but i will be waiting as long as october, if there is an update. my first rewardzone certificate expires that month. hopefully the update will be september-ish.

=)