Best Buy Warranty or AppleCare

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iphoner2010, Oct 12, 2008.

1. iphoner2010 macrumors member

Alright, so I have an HP right now that is warrented through Best Buy/Geek Squad...I love their service, hard drive has exploded 3 times and they fixed it, no questions asked. Last year I purchased an iPhone. No extended warranty at the time (because nothing was available). Service sucks. I have gotten it replaced 3 times (I know, sounds like I have bad luck with technology, right?) but I've had to argue every time (HINT: posting a youtube video really makes the PR person who you'll talk to after 5 hours on the phone mad, and she'll gladly replace the product if you delete the video). So I'm wondering, since I plan on purchasing a new macbook pro when they arrive, should I go to my best buy store, which sells macs right there with the BB warranty, or Is the "paid" warranty through apple better than the **free** warranty coverage (because I would love to customize my mac)...lemme no.:apple:

2. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

:apple:thx, but I was actually looking for more of a "my experience with __________ is this" not just a word. who knows, you may work for apple.

3. oacory macrumors regular

Apple Care

Out of experience I would definitely go with the Apple Care if you have an apple store near by. I have a Gateway laptop which I bought at BB which I had to have the keyboard replaced since my "S" key broke off. I took it to the store and they did however ask me no real questions besides what was wrong with it. They took it and 2 weeks later I got my gateway back with the new keyboard. I bought an iMac about the same time (Would have went with just a MBP but I figured an iMac and a Gateway laptop were better then a MBP for the same price.) and I had a problem with my computer after installing iLife 08 and they stayed on the phone with me until I fixed my problem since I had Apple Care even though it was not really hardware based, BB would have made my pay for Geek Squad if it would have happened to my laptop. Also, this same iMac had a few dead pixels so I called AppleCare and they directed me to the closest Genius Bar who replaced my screen in less than 3 hours. BB takes a week or two if it is not a basic problem, AC will fix it sooner as long as it wasn't neglect by the user.

4. Maximillian macrumors 6502

I've personally seen Applecare work wonders. I had a laptop fail, sent to off to Apple and had it back, working 100% in 2 days. That's overnight mail out, fixing, overnight mail back for FREE.

It's worth the cash up front to cover you in the event of a problem. It'd have cost me $500-$700 (said the guy on the phone when I called after my lappy died) to fix the issue without Applecare.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Applecare will be more portable - if you travel or move you'll be more likely to be able to access service.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

AppleCare for Mac is AppleCare for Mac. Regardless if you bought the 3-year AppleCare coverage and have a problem, or you have a problem and are using the complimentary 1-year AppleCare coverage, you talk to the same people.

If something breaks and you have your Mac repaired, almost every account I've read on the forums here has AppleCare getting your Mac back to you more quickly than Best Buy.

AppleCare for Macs doesn't cover cosmetic issues, so if you found yourself arguing for iPhone replacements over those types of issues, you'll probably find yourself in the same situation with your Mac.

7. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

This is true. I have never had trouble with Applecare. You will get a reduced price if you buy it with the machine. However, you can usually do better buying it through Amazon or LA Computer.

It does not matter where you buy it (although if you buy from Apple they will register it for you). Don't wait to buy it. It is a small part of the original purchase but will seem like a lot later. Once the original runs out, even by a day, you can no longer extend the warranty.

8. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

go with applecare. if you buy a warranty elsewhere they will send you to apple anyway when you have an issue with the mac. and apple will say, you're outta luck. best to stick with apple on this one. purchasing applecare with education discount will save you tons on applecare.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

10. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

I maintain over 100 apple laptops/desktops on a daily basis, use applecare.

11. XianPalin macrumors 6502

From what I've read online (lots of people's experiences from reading a lot of Apple message boards), Applecare seems to be worth it. I bought it for my Mac Mini and Mac Pro but luckily haven't had to use it.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you search the forums before you post a new thread, you'll many times find what you're looking for, such as the many threads on this topic.

13. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Either get no warranty or get apple care. Best buy warranty is junk.

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Have you considered squaretrade.com ?

Good prices, and you can find discount codes online.

15. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

is Applecare worth it if you live 5+ hours away from an Apple Store? I live about 25-30 minutes away from Best Buy and a Future Shop. I do agree with what you've said about BB taking a couple weeks, but if you're not anywhere near an apple store, is applecare worth it?

I live in Canada (not sure if that'll make a difference with your answer)

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

In the US, you have the option of having your notebook serviced via priority overnight shipping, too. Hopefully it works the same way in Canada.

I had a 15" PowerBook with a keyboard problem and Apple wanted to replace the entire keyboard.

Monday afternoon: I call AppleCare and they decide I need to ship it in.
    Tuesday morning: I receive the shipping box for my notebook.
    Tuesday evening: I drop the box off at DHL.
    Wednesday: Apple gets it, fixes it, ships it back.
    Thursday morning: I receive it back.

Total time away = less than 48 hours.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

My experience with Apple customer care has been uniformly very good, and that is one of the main reasons why I switched to Apple computers, when I bought a MBP, earlier this year. Nearly three years ago I bought an iPod, which died after four months (and was replaced withot fuss or any attempt to seek refuge in contractual small print). That, in turn, died after a few weeks - both were battery issues. That, too, was immdiately replaced, with an iPod which still works perfectly well.
    This was one of the many reasons I decided to switch to Apple, and I strongly recommend Apple Care, which gives a three year guarantee, rather than the one year warranty which comes with the product initially. A computer is a ig investment, especially a premium brand such as Apple. I have had friends whose computers died shortly after the expiry of the initial one year warranty, and had no legal comeback but still faced enormous expense (to repair/replace) said machines.
    Cheers

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I NEVER KNEW THAT...

The only advantages of Best Buy are:
    A. The Idiot Factor - most BestBuy service employees are not: a. familiar with the Mac or b. that highly trained to diagnose technical problems (Geek Squad and Genius Bar are two different things) therefore BestBuy, especially with things like iPod's has been known to replace things that probably shouldn't be replaced. However, there are a lot of negative things mentioned above and playing the lottery with this - as opposed to the consistent five day for almost anything AppleCare service is a gamble.

B. If there is not an Apple store around and there is a Best Buy, this might be an advantage depending on your living situations you might not want a computer sitting outside your front door or driving six hours to an Apple store. With that said - still some other problems.

19. CallsignBaron macrumors member

AppleCare

I have to vote for AppleCare also. Apple support has always been very helpful but to be honest I really haven't had too many problems. What situations did arise were handled promptly and to my satisfaction. AppleCare even helped me with a couple questions I had with Leopard and iLife.

Also, I purchased three different lappys from BB and all three crapped out on me within a couple months of the purchase date. To their credit BB did refund my money all three times. That was the last time a purchased any technology from BB. Maybe you're not the one cursed with bad luck after all. :rolleyes:

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

That is a good point (about AppleCare proving software support for the Apple apps that come on Macs in addition to the hardware support)!

21. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

Here's my problem. I agree, ONCE apple has agreed to fix it, it is the quickest repair I've ever seen. The problem (that I find) is that they choose to blame it on you (even when it's not your fault). I had my iPhone for about 4 months, screen went bizzerk, the "water indicator" had NOT gone off, small, small, small dent in the back (video card in the middle, this was down at the battery)...they said I killed the video card...which I didn't. I spent way to much time (and money away from my job) to get the problem fixed. I have never been asked a question with BB about why anything had happened. My HP is warranted through them along with my 2 LCD TV's, 1 Plasma, and 1 DLP...all of them have been either cleaned/repaired/serviced at no cost to me....I should have been more specific in asking whether or not anybody has run into trouble with AppleCare when it comes to them agreeing to fix your MBP/MB.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

You said you had your iPhone replaced 3x. Were they all incidents involving physical damage being blamed as the cause? :confused:

There are posts that pop-up here every now and then about AppleCare not covering a repair, which tends the make the poster pretty angry. I'm guessing if anyone here had that experience, they would have mentioned it.

Do you know if BBY actually does the service on the Macs themselves, or do they just mail it back to AppleCare for the customer? If so, then you'd be in the same situation (where AppleCare could say no to a repair).

23. CallsignBaron macrumors member

I think the overwhelming consensus is that those who have purchased AppleCare are, for the most part very pleased with the service they have received. If you are looking for someone who will tell you their experience was similar to yours then I'm sure you can find someone. There is no perfect warranty service, what people are saying is overall they are satisfied. If you are more comfortable with Best Buy's service plan by all means use theirs. There is nothing wrong with that.

24. iphoner2010 thread starter macrumors member

no, my only problem similar to that was the first one. Second time was keyboard started to not work, but i could touch in that area, and third time was app problem. My issue is that I feel like when I call Apple that I have to be a salesperson trying to sell them what is wrong so they will repair it. BB asks what won't work...and they fix it. (BB has there own GS HQ, if they can't fix...auto replace, no going to apple).:apple: