Best Buy Warranty

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by patmort02, Sep 21, 2007.

1. patmort02 macrumors member

I have a 40 GB iPod Photo whose hard drive just died a few days ago. I bought a warranty from best buy when i originally purchased it. The Photo was $500 when I first bought it.

Anyone know how best buy's replacement plans work? I have heard that they will replace from some people, while others say they will just repair it.

Also, if the do replace it, would they give me a touch or a classic?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I suggest reading your warranty documentation for that.

3. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

They will most likely send it to apple for repair. They won't just "give" you a touch - they might if you pay a little bit. Talk to the manager and negotiate. Everything there is negotiation...trust me...I worked at Future Shop (sister company)

4. tobenning macrumors member

Most likely they will send it away for repair. Have them replace the battery while it's the shop. That's what the warranty is for.

5. patmort02 thread starter macrumors member

Ya I guess that was wishful thinking haha. Well I will call them in the morning and see what they say. Hopefully this repair process doesn't take too long.

6. GrimmGreen macrumors regular

They switched out my old 4th gen U2 Ipod for a 5th gen Ipod Video on the spot , no questions asked. So you never know , they might just hand you a Ipod touch

7. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

There are two types of extended warranties. Product Replacement Plans (PRP) or Product Service Plans (PSP).

With a PRP they give you a new one from the store. With a PSP they send it in for repair if the "geek squad" cant figure it out.

They used to issue PRP's with iPods, but stopped a few years ago and only now sell the PSP plans.

If you have a 4th gen, good chance it was a PRP.

Good luck.

8. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

+1.

They WILL send your ipod out for repair unless you can negotiate something else. I was rather annoyed about this as my 5th gen has this newer warranty that sucks (when they sold it to me they said it was for replacement but it turns out it's for repair).

The only warranty on a DAP worth a damn is one that gives you full replacement credit.

9. gergc macrumors newbie

actually, there are two types of service requests: rapid exchange, and repair

rapid exchange is where you get sent a refurbished ipod, and repair is where your ipod is sent to the service center to be repaired, and sent back to the store. with rapid exchange, they refurb your ipod and send it to the next person who wants a rapid exchange.

the reason why a lot of best buys don't tell you about rapid exchange is 1) a number of the refurb units that are sent out have a pretty high probability of breaking again in a short period of time, as experience has told me...and 2) they don't know about it because they didn't read the training docs.

so there you have it.

10. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

A PRP on an iPod would be pretty nice...but I doubt they'd actually honor it.

11. adauge macrumors regular

adauge

I took back my 5th Gen ipod and told them that it keeps freezing up and crashing and they told me to pick out another one, I picked a touch, and that was that. When I bought the warranty for the touch I asked if it was a replacement or service plan, she said it was a service plan but most of the time they just replace it because it's easier. It may depend on the store.

12. dualcore macrumors member

dualcore

i just tried to do that with my broken 5g video and they sent it out to their 'repair warehouse' and ill have it back in 2-3 weeks:mad:

13. patmort02 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I guess this is where all the ambiguity comes from. I guess it depends on the store. I have the PSP, so I guess that means it SHOULD go out for repair. I actually just called my local best buy and they said the Geek Squad has to examine it and make sure nothing was tampered with. I then asked what happens if it really is broken and she just said "the geek squad will decide where to go from there."

I'm guessing she had no clue as to what they are supposed to do with it. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that they replace it on the spot with a shiny new touch.

14. parrotheadmjb macrumors 6502

I dealt with this warranty at best buy this is what happened for me and I had a PSP (product replacement plan, not playstation portable) , 1.) it broke, they fixed it, sent the SAME EXACT iPod, same serial number, this happened 4 times 2.) when it broke the 5th time, under their no lemon policy they offered to replace it with a 30gb iPod Video (which was $50 less than what I had paid for my other one) (I had had a 4th generation iPod, black screen) , 3.) I said no and argued with a guy in the Geek Squad department about a store credit, he said it could not happen so I walked over to customer service handed the exchange papers to the woman and she gave me a store credit for the full $318.99 (tax included). 4.) I saved the store credit added a hundred and bought a week 36 iPod Touch 8 months later which 5.) I plan on exchanging my defective iPod touch tommorow for a week 38.