Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy is currently offering users a hefty discount of $200 off of two models of the Stainless Steel Apple Watch, available now through Monday on the retailer's website. Those interested can purchase a 38mm and 42mm Apple Watch with Milanese Loop for $449.00 and $499.00, respectively. The Black Sport Band with Space Black Stainless Steel case has also received a similar discount, with the 38mm option on sale for $349.00 and the 42mm available for $399.00.

Apple-Watch-Best-Buy-deal-800x405.jpg

The prices will run all weekend on Best Buy's official website, but similar sales will be available in stores, pending stock availability. Best Buy hasn't included any other editions or collections of the Apple Watch in this weekend's deal, but it does lower the barrier for entry into the Stainless Steel version of the wearable for those who have been contemplating upgrading from a Sport, or buying one for the first time.

The 4-day sale isn't focused on Apple Watch, however, with various other Apple products getting a nice discount from Best Buy. The retailer is cutting the price of a few 13-inch MacBook Pro models by $225: the non-Retina MBP (with 4GB memory and a 500GB HD) is on sale for $874.99, while the Retina MBP (with 8GB memory and 128GB flash storage) has been cut down to $1,074.99. The model with 16GB is not part of the 4-day sale.

On the iPad side of things, Best Buy is offering $70 off of the non-cellular versions of the iPad mini 2. Users can get the 7.9-inch display tablet with 16GB of storage in either Space Gray or Silver for $199.99. The sales event caps off its Apple deals with the 4GB MacBook Air for $749.99 (11-inch screen) and $849.99 (13-inch screen).

Anyone looking for more Apple deals can check out the MacRumors roundup for deals going on this week, and on specific products like iMacs, third-party accessories, and even iOS and Mac apps.

Article Link: Best Buy Weekend Sale Offers Discounts up to $200 on Apple Watch, Retina MacBook Pro, and More

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I ordered a 42mm Milanese Loop at 6:30am this morning. I chose in store pick up. Just my luck, there was only 2 in the store and one was display, which they wouldn't sell. The result is that I'm stuck waiting until Wednesday. :(

The next nearest Best Buy has the same stock situation.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Jukens

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
Apple's product value following release keeps dropping, killing a major benefit to the high upfront costs with a high resale....

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I'm still planning to wait for the second or third revision. Given the soft market, I expect we'll see similar sales on those updated models somewhere in the middle of the product cycle... unless retailers decide to simply stop carrying Apple Watches.

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
Wow... Apple watch prices are dropping like stones... Must mean that they are not selling as good as expected!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Or everything in this sale is going to be outdated soon…
ding ding ding...

Look at the big sale on the retina Macbook they had in March and April clearing out the stock... and boom Apple drops the 2nd generation version this week.

WWDC is in a few short weeks. If I were a betting man I'd wager there's some new hardware coming so BestBuy is clearing stock.

Reactions: Dr.Chroma

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Old stock for a lot of people means still new stock as most people don't upgrade every year or every 3 yrs or more. So no need to wait for WWDC.

Reactions: sracer

richard.laay

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2016
US
Does Apple Watch offers Watches in cartoon Characters also? i need to get one for my boy. It looks cool.

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
Or they are about to release an update...

That is speculative, when was the last time apple (or big box retailers) have heavily dropped the prices before the next product release? I believe never and lets not forget that Apple just dropped the apple watch sport prices a couple of weeks ago already...

Don't forget that the discount on the Apple Watch SS (with sportsband) from 599 to 399 is a discount of a whopping 33%!! ... Best buy cannot drop the price this heavily by its own... I believe Apple is testing (through Best Buy) these price ranges for the SS models to see how the customer response is.

Just my opinion

ike1707

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
That's one crazy discount, but it simply leaves me thinking even more so that the new ones are going to be announced soon

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
If you wanted a SS just buy it. When the new one launches yea it may be upgraded but you are not gonna get it at this price but the retail price. It will still function as needed and you are getting it 200$ off.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Wow... Apple watch prices are dropping like stones... Must mean that they are not selling as good as expected!
Or because they've been making them for a year, they can produce them for less than at they could at launch so they can afford to drop prices and maintain their margins. Their goal is to get more people wearing them, but not at the expense of margins, so this scenario actually makes a lot of sense.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
That is speculative, when was the last time apple (or big box retailers) have heavily dropped the prices before the next product release? I believe never and lets not forget that Apple just dropped the apple watch sport prices a couple of weeks ago already...

Don't forget that the discount on the Apple Watch SS (with sportsband) from 599 to 399 is a discount of a whopping 33%!! ... Best buy cannot drop the price this heavily by its own... I believe Apple is testing (through Best Buy) these price ranges for the SS models to see how the customer response is.

Just my opinion

Just my opinion

Literally, almost always. Best Buy discount or pull the product before new releases. So does the big online resellers like Adorama, B&H Photo, and Amazon.

ThaRuler

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2016
Proof that this was a flop. No one can argue this the Apple Watch is a hit. Very niche market. The masses simply don't care about this product.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I ordered a 42mm Milanese Loop at 6:30am this morning. I chose in store pick up. Just my luck, there was only 2 in the store and one was display, which they wouldn't sell. The result is that I'm stuck waiting until Wednesday. :(

The next nearest Best Buy has the same stock situation.

I think the actual stock in store would be the toughest part of obtaining one. And of course the Milanese loop and black stainless steel would have to appeal to you. I actually purchased a Product RED 42 MM Stainless a few weeks back for $100.00 off the MSRP. I personally do no care for the Milanese loop. My guess is they do not have a lot of these to go around, as my stores are very limited in my area.
[doublepost=1461356017][/doublepost]
ding ding ding...

Look at the big sale on the retina Macbook they had in March and April clearing out the stock... and boom Apple drops the 2nd generation version this week.

WWDC is in a few short weeks. If I were a betting man I'd wager there's some new hardware coming so BestBuy is clearing stock.

This^ This is a good indication the Apple Watch 2 is not far off and maybe a possible unveiling at WWDC, with a September release with the iPhone 7. I am definitely looking forward to Watch 2. I love my first Gen!
[doublepost=1461356315][/doublepost]

Just my opinion

Agreed. However, the Black stainless steel is one of the least popular models, I owned one and sold it for a regular stainless steel. It looks great, but does not stand out like the stainless steel model does. Not to mention, each store is very limited, that being said with the Milanese. Both my stores are out of stock, and I was told they only had limited numbers to begin with. Also, I purchased a Product RED a few weeks back, it was $100.00 of MSRP. Watch 2 is coming soon or T least announced.
[doublepost=1461356438][/doublepost]
Literally, almost always. Best Buy discount or pull the product before new releases. So does the big online resellers like Adorama, B&H Photo, and Amazon.

Very true. Should start seeing the Watch rumors start flowing regularly.
[doublepost=1461356815][/doublepost]
Proof that this was a flop. No one can argue this the Apple Watch is a hit. Very niche market. The masses simply don't care about this product.

How is this proof this was a flop? Where is your source for "Flop?" They sold 10 Plus Million and and its a "Flop?" By who's standards? Your post seems very uneducated and ignorant. Please define who the "Masses" are. Price reduction/fluctuation does not indicate a flop. Perhaps Market saturation would be more of an appropriate response.
[doublepost=1461356854][/doublepost]
Damn that is tempting... I'm holding out for gen 2.

Smart Move. We are not far off I believe. I'll join you.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I really like my 42mm SS Milanese Loop. $499 is a steal, but with new Watches coming by September I'd just wait. It's a pretty great little device that I wear every day, but the first-gen lag is real. Hopefully gen 2 is like going from the iPad to the iPad 2 or the original iPhone/3G to the 3gs, which is to say, it will have very noticeable speed improvements.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
I really like my 42mm SS Milanese Loop. $499 is a steal, but with new Watches coming by September I'd just wait. It's a pretty great little device that I wear every day, but the first-gen lag is real. Hopefully gen 2 is like going from the iPad to the iPad 2 or the original iPhone/3G to the 3gs, which is to say, it will have very noticeable speed improvements.

With more software updates/Watch OS 3, I think lag can be reduced and it has already with OS 2, compared to when it debuted a year ago. The S1 processor is a great start and with lots of future potential with improvements. I have the Stainless steel link version and love it. Wear it every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.