best buying options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kclark, Jun 9, 2011.

1. kclark macrumors member

I am looking at getting my first mac and it WILL be a MBP. I have not settled on the model yet. But I would like to know if it is best to get from Apple directly, macmall, macconnection or the like. Also how hard should I look at a refurb. The one thing that I am sure of, I will be getting at least the i5 maybe i7 13 or 15".

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Any place you chose to buy your MBP is fine and pretty much all the same. Typically the prices are about the same and if you're looking for a refurb, it still comes with a 1 year warranty as all new MBPs do.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

One place to think about is macmall.com

I know some people really have bad attitude about it, but if you order a baseline computer, their prices are about as cheap as you can find. And they have good deals on printers, and sometimes other stuff too. I got a free printer with my purchase. If you start adding RAM, upgrading the hard drive or screen though, you'll lose the savings. They charge much more than Apple for upgrades. They also don't charge tax, and if you get it from Apple you'll expect to pay a pretty hefty sales tax. Like I said, I got mine from macmall. It's not for everyone, but it's worth checking into.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

i would say getting it directly from apple is your best option if you are a student, more so during the back to school sale. if not then just go to any place that doesn't have tax, shipping, or both.

5. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Check the Microcenter site, if there's a store near you, you can get a good deal on a mac. I got my son's i5 13" MBP there a week ago for $999.

6. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

That's how I got my MBP. Awesome deal.

7. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I was just running some numbers a few minutes ago. These are for the 13" base model, but they should give you an idea. Sales tax in my area is 8.5%, so you would need to adjust for your state.

If you want Applecare then you need to put that into the equation as well.

Apple Store: 1199+102 (sales tax) = 1301 Applecare 250 Total $1551
    Apple Education Store: 1099+93 = 1192 Applecare 183 Total $1375
    (If you buy online there's no need to prove you're a student/teacher/parent/staff, just click through the Education Store link)
    Apple Refurb 1019+86 = 1105 AppleCare from Amazon 211 Total $1316

When the Back to School promotion begins then you should also get a free iPod Touch or perhaps $200 discount on a new iPad. But only if you buy from the Apple Store and only new Macs, not refurbs. I would put that into the equation.

Micro Center 999+85 = 1084 Applecare from Amazon 211 Total $1295
    MacMall 1137 (no sales tax) Applecare/Amazon 211 Total $1348
    Amazon exactly the same as MacMall Total $1348

If you have a Micro Center nearby then that's the absolute cheapest. But, you lose the freebie Touch on the Back to School promotion. There are probably some cheaper places for Applecare than Amazon but I haven't researched that too well.

My choice is the Education Store when the Back to School promotion begins. I don't have a Micro Center near me but I would choose Education anyway, since the free Touch has to be worth more than the $80 difference. Also, Micro Center doesn't have the greatest reputation for customer service (in case you want to return it), so that's another plus for buying direct from Apple.

Apple refurbs have excellent reputations, so that's also a good way to go if you don't have a Micro Center, although for $32 difference I would be tempted to go new from Amazon.

Even though these are numbers for 13" I hope they're helpful.

8. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Apple care from Apple through the education store for the 13" is $183.

Edit: Sorry, I see that you had that up top.