Best Buy's trade-in program (Dealtree)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thermodynamic, Apr 15, 2011.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

So I will upgrade, whee!, but need to sell my old MBP as I don't need two and am partly strapped for cash if I don't sell it. I'd like to keep two, but one would just collect dust, and I tend to buy extended warranties in case I end up with a lemon (for anything with a LCD panel or gets warm with usage, I will splurge :) ).

She's a 17", mid-2009 model in near-perfect condition.

Assuming I take out the upgraded RAM and put it back to the original 4GB, DealTree will give me $634 for it. (they see the extra 4GB as being value-less).

Is DealTree a ripoff for their customers?

Thx!

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Yes. You can buy a used 15 early 2008 for about $200 more. If you would rather not deal with the hassle then no, but I would think you should get better than that selling it outright, as it it less than 2 years (not by much) years old. I would think it would be worth close to half of what the new price was.

3. thermodynamic thread starter Suspended

thermodynamic

I bought the 17" MBP in December 2009. Not even 18 months ago. :) Why I'd smile with pride over that revelation is probably perplexing, though... but the Sandy Bridge chipset and faster i7 are a definite plus...