Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Best Buy today announced a new financing and upgrade program called "Upgrade+." The program involves a combination of interest-free financing through Citizens Pay and an option to upgrade to a new Mac laptop after three years.

best-buy-mac-upgrade-program.jpg

As an example, Best Buy cites a base M1 MacBook Air priced at $999.99. Through the Upgrade+ program, a customer can pay $19.99 per month for 36 months toward the machine. At the end of 36 months, the user has the option to make the remaining $280.35 payment and keep the machine, return the machine and leave the program, or upgrade to a new Mac laptop. If they return the machine, either to leave the program or upgrade to a new Mac, no final payment is required.

Examples of base Mac laptop configurations with Upgrade+ pricing terms:
  • M1 MacBook Air ($999.99): $19.99/month with final payment of $280.35
  • M2 MacBook Air ($1,199.00): $25.98/month with final payment of $263.78
  • M2 13-inch MacBook Pro ($1,299.00): $28.15/month with final payment of $285.78
  • M1 Pro 14-inch MacBook Pro ($1,999.00): $43.32/month with final payment of $439.78
  • M1 Pro 16-inch MacBook Pro ($2,499.00): $54.15/month with final payment of $549.78
AppleCare+ and select Apple accessories can also be folded into the program and financed over the 36-month term. Members of the Best Buy Totaltech program (priced at $199.99 per year) will also receive their normal membership benefit of AppleCare+ at no cost for up to 24 months while participating in the Upgrade+ program.

best-buy-upgrade.jpg

Best Buy notes that Best Buy Totaltech member pricing and other promotional discounts may not be used with the Upgrade+ program, but it may still be a reasonable option for customers who prefer a small monthly payment to spread out the cost of the machine over three years rather than having to pay for it entirely up front.

Customers may also be able to obtain more money for their used Mac after the three-year period by selling it through other channels rather than accepting the forgiven final payment from Best Buy, but customers who wish to do that could simply make that final payment and then sell the machine on their own.

Best Buy says the Upgrade+ program will also help to reduce e-waste, as Mac laptops returned at the end of the program will find their way to Best Buy's other programs for giving used machines second lives.

Article Link: Best Buy's 'Upgrade+' Program Lets Customers Get a New Mac Laptop Every Three Years With Monthly Financing

Last edited:
Ah yes, encouraging students to get into debt early. What student needs to upgrade a laptop after 3 years?

Sometimes, Macrumors, I think you guys post this stuff to wind us up.
It's a good option to have for students to get through college tho. Many don't have the funds right away to pay off the new Mac. Especially the fact, Apple will be raising the prices for the new upcoming Mac's in the future.

TwistedGleam

Suspended
Sep 15, 2022
Ah yes, encouraging students to get into debt early. What student needs to upgrade a laptop after 3 years?

Sometimes, Macrumors, I think you guys post this stuff to wind us up.

Sounds like a good way to never get out of debt... maybe buy what you can afford and move on.

The road to the poorhouse is paved with easy payment plans.

The forgiven final payment for trade-in is a ripoff, but interest-free financing is a perfectly fine option, even for people who have the cash. especially if you consider the time value of money. A $30 monthly payment today is worth more than your 36th monthly payment of $30.

zubikov

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
PA
The resale value of a 3 year old 16" macbook pro is way higher than $550 shown in the example. This program is a terrible financial decision. If you have the time and patience to sell on eBay, buy it outright and sell it yourself when you need to move on. If you don't want to bother with the sale, just trade it into Apple, and that will still fetch you more $.

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Other than the information in the article itself, what are you saying MacRumors said to intentionally rile the audience?
I hope that Macrumors would venture into responsible journalism and add a note on whether this is a good deal or not mathematically or who it would potentially benefit. If it's a completely bogus deal, my expectations is they would call it out and warn folks that may not know any better....

applicious84

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2020
It seems pretty similar to most no-interest financing programs.

It looks like the big catch is if one can or can't afford to make that final large payment. Would they effectively be forced to upgrade or lose their laptop? I can't totally tell, but that wouldn't be a great position to be in.

Otherwise, that's not too dissimilar from what most people do with their phones, and no-interest financing is really not a bad thing. Imagine buying a home that way!

Finally, it just gives you another option at the end. I really don't see getting a no-interest loan as a bad deal or financially irresponsible.

OK, it seems that this is only reasonable if there is no discount on the original product. So this really is not so great. Especially since you can get this with no-interest financing, including the discount, over 24 months.

View attachment 2100919

Last edited:

Cole82

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2022
It's a good option to have for students to get through college tho. Many don't have the funds right away to pay off the new Mac. Especially the fact, Apple will be raising the prices for the new upcoming Mac's in the future.
As a student currently wrapping up my MBA, I can assure you... there are very few students who cannot afford a MacBook Air at the $1,000 price point. Additionally, there are very few students who need a MacBook Pro to get through school (especially for a Bachelors)... but you can bet they would use this program to buy one because that is pushed on them. "Buy the best, you need it! The debt isn't much." Do you really think this enables individuals to shop within their means? Nope, that's not the way our brains are wired after years of advertising. We start to think "well, they payments are low enough... I'll just get the bigger one. Bigger is better!" That's how you end up with a $3,500.00 fancy couch web browser. If people actually shopped within their means, Apple's profits would not be nearly what they are. My own family is guilty of this, and I'm a finance major! You can argue the point all you want, this is just another way to shackle individuals into debt. It wouldn't surprise me if the financing was done by Synchrony... they love keeping people in debt!

cpnotebook80

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2007
Toronto
I just watched a youtube short doc on these payment plan apps that makes for easy purchases on designer products, electronics etc etc. Esp credit cards..

Last edited:
Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I really hope that you are wrong but I don't think you will be..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.