Best cable for connecting Mac Mini to display?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Jacobi, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Jacobi, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019

Jacobi macrumors member

If my monitor has the option of using an HDMI cord, or using DisplayPort, is there any advantage of one over the other? I don't need to connect any other peripherals. Since Mac Mini 2018 doesn't have a displayport connection, do I then have to buy an extra cable/adapter?

EDIT: Considering the Dell U2415 as my display, if that helps.

Thanks!

2. macdos macrumors regular

macdos

Go DP. Just plug it into TB3.

3. Jacobi thread starter macrumors member

Is there an official Apple cable for this, or do I need a third party converter between USB-C and DP?

4. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

That's a low res display so DP or HDMI won't make a difference. With that an HDMI cable is a cheap and solid solution.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

TB3 does native DP output. No need for a special Apple cable. Any should do. USB C to DP is fine as well. As DP is done over USB C. TB3 just works over USB C as well.

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Adapter-QGeeM-Displayport-ChromeBook/dp/B074V5MMCH/

FYI: HDMI is not forwards compatible with DisplayPort. Thus DP to HDMI is more expensive than HDMI to DP. Life will be easier and cheaper going TB3 to DP.

Given the resolution. As @saulinpa stated HDMI works just as well. Although I'd prefer TB3 to DP in case you decide to switch to 4K later.

6. chrfr, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019

chrfr macrumors 604

In this case, because the Mini has a native HDMI port, I'd use that rather than tie up one of the fast data ports to drive a display. Many displays will drive 4k at 60Hz over HDMI these days too, in case you upgrade later.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2019 ---
    At work I use 2 Dell P2415Q 4k displays connected to a Mac Pro. One is through HDMI, one is through DisplayPort, and both connect and work fine at 4k/60Hz. The Mini's HDMI port will run 4k at 60Hz just fine too.