best calendar program/setup that can sync home and work Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beethovengirl, Apr 13, 2008.

1. beethovengirl macrumors regular

Hi,

My husband is having a difficult time keeping track of his work responsibilities, and he needs some sort of calendar that can sync between his home and work Macs. Which would be better: iCal or Google Calendar [or something else]? How do you sync iCal over the internet?

thank you :)

2. dannyeaston macrumors newbie

I use this:

www.icalx.com

All you have to do is make an account and go to iCal > Calendar > Publish and then your husband goes to his iCal > Calendar > subscribe.

Job done.

3. beethovengirl thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! How does icalx.com compare to .Mac?

4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

5. dannyeaston macrumors newbie

I've never used .Mac - all I know is that icalx is free!

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Use Google Calendar and then get iCal to connect to Google Calendar and you have the nice interface of iCal with the convenience of Google.

7. dannyeaston macrumors newbie

I think I'm right in saying that all updates then have to be done in Google. Make an update in iCal and it won't sync into Google calendar (or it might be the other way round).

8. beethovengirl thread starter macrumors regular

How do you get iCal to connect to Google calendar?

I've been looking at Google Calendar, and I think it may be better for my husband's needs. My husband's problem isn't that he has a lot of stuff scheduled on a daily basis but that he can't remember if he has an appt on a particular date, and Google Calendar's monthly view seems easier to work with than iCal's. Then again, I don't know how to use iCal, so there's probably something I'm missing. ;)

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Go into Google Calandar and in the settings page there should be a button saying something like access from iCal or similar click that and it will give you a link. Copy that and when you open iCal go to the Calandar menu > Subscribe and then paste the address in and click OK and away you go.

Edit : In Google Calandar go to Settings > Calandar Details and at the bottom there should be something saying Private Address click the green iCal button there.

10. dannyeaston macrumors newbie

Ive just spent 15mins and I can't get it to work.

11. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Personally, I use iCal (.Mac) across my two Macs and my iPhone.
    If I'm without a Mac (or iPhone), I can see a read-only version of my iCals on the web.

12. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Try "BusySync" - it does a great job of syncing to/from gCal from iCal.

13. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

The problem with the publish/subscribe method is that you can't alter calendars you subscribe to. So your husband could enter info at work and publish it, but at home, he could only view that calendar, not make edits/entries.

With .Mac, and probably icalx, you would probably just want to do a straight sync with iCal, which will merge the calendars from work and home, allowing edits on both ends.