Best Camcorder 4 Mac Editing??!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hAMBERger101, Nov 14, 2009.

1. hAMBERger101 macrumors newbie

hi, so i'm wondering what is the best camcorder for editing videos? right now i have a sony handycam with the little dvd things, but i have to convert every little clip into a different file and it takes forever! and i think it also lessens the video quality by going through this process.

i've been looking and apparently the miniDV cameras are better for mac? i just assumed the discs were better than tapes?

i use my camera for things like in the link below. plz help!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSNocwniCHM

2. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I use final cut pro but i know my camera shoots AVCHD (canon vixia HF200) and it has too be transcoded into pro-res 422 which re-incodes about real time :/
    I am unaware of any consumer models that shoot in native quicktime format.
    PS whats your budget? you could always get one of these but are expensive

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

I used an older version for a job earlier in the year and loved it.

I still had to copy the footage off every night before editing because it had to be cleaned off for the next days shoot.

But, it was way cool. I still used the tape in the camera for every interview just incase (it was my first time to use the unit) and it paid off after a long day of shooting when the HD had filled up. THe newer ones have a lot more drive space now though.

5. thedoor1 macrumors member

I'm considering these Sanyo models but the reviews on CNET sound like the quality leaves something to be desired, but the "iFrame" format sounds great. If anyone has tried this out to see if the Sanyo quote is true, that'd be helpful.

http://us.sanyo.com/News/SANYO-Dual-Cameras-are-World-s-First-with-iFrame-Video-Format

“SANYO is proud to be the first manufacturer to offer camcorders that are compatible with the iFrame video format. This format offers a major breakthrough in reducing the time it takes for consumers to import, edit and share high quality video,” said Tom Van Voy, General Manager of the Consumer Products Group for SANYO North America. “In addition to this new video format, our Dual Cameras also offer the ability to shoot 8-Megapixel photos as well as a number of video modes, including Full HD 1080P/60fps, making them the perfect choice for sharing high quality movies with family and friends, for video bloggers or budding videographers.”

iFrame is a computer-friendly video format that has been specifically designed to simplify the process of working with video recorded from a camera. With iFrame, the video recorded in the camera is in the same format that will be used for editing, which means that importing video is fast and file sizes are small. This translates to quick and easy editing and sharing of movies across multiple platforms and devices. This new format can also be used with both Mac and PC compatible applications due to the use of standards-based technologies such as H.264, AAC, MP4 and MOV.

6. DEE9299 macrumors 6502a

DEE9299

I have been looking for a camcorder as well and was looking into the canon ones.....but the sanyo ones look interesting and I found this on apples list of camcorders supported by imovie 09........about the VPC-FH1A

"the iFrame Video format is designed by Apple to speed up importing and editing by keeping the content in its native recorded format while editing. Setting a camcorder to record in the iFrame video format can result in optimized performance in iMovie ’09. iFrame is a computer-friendly video format designed by Apple to simplify the process of working with video recorded with your camera. With iFrame, the video in your camera is the same format you’ll edit, so importing video is fast and file sizes are small. iFrame is based on industry standards, such as H.264, AAC, MP4, and QuickTime, so iFrame can be used with compatible Mac and PC applications."

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

The VPC-FH1A looks cool. Although The priced is about twice the FS200, it is packed with enough features to make it worth it.

The main reason I was looking at the FS200 was the mic & headphone jacks on such a small body at a reasonable price (which the Sanyo has also). In most cases I can live without 1080p as long as I can record good sound.

I will definitely look at getting some test video shot on the Sanyo.

Thanks for the link and info.