Best Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by stanlee8, Mar 29, 2010.

1. stanlee8 macrumors newbie

Basically i want a new camcorder to use with my imac. My brother said he wants me to make him a few music video's as im pretty good at editing. I was just wondering whats the best camcorder to get ? I was looking at the samsung r10 but then i dno. My budget is under £400 max. And maybe 1 that you dont have to convert video to edit in imovie/fce4. thanks

2. macusersince5 macrumors member

macusersince5

I just got a canon vixia hfs100 from B and H Photo for 600 dollars U.S the quality is great and it has an external microphone jack and a headphone jack for a consumer camcorder. I don't know how that looks in the Uk but it was a really good deal. I think they still have that deal available.

3. jgraider macrumors newbie

Please let us know what you think of the HF S100, as I've been torn between that and the HV30. I'd also like to know your take on the workflow/editing/burning with the Mac and the HF S100. Thanks.

4. macusersince5 macrumors member

macusersince5

great camera. Excellent quality and decent built in sound. If the sound isn't good enough for you you can buy an external microphone and plug in via the mini jack. It also had ability to plug in a headset to hear what your recording two features most consumer camcorders always lack.

I upgraded from and 1.5 year old SD sony handycam and the quality in a well lit area is superb compared to the sony. Low light isn't bad but I knew it wouldn't be fantastic when i bought it. As far as work flow you import into FCP though log and transfer and it transcodes the AVCD footage right into proress 422. then just edit and burn to a dvd if you need. I haven't burned to a dvd and really don't have a need to.

-couldn't be any easier to than that.

5. jgraider macrumors newbie

I do not have FCP. Will Final Cut Express work the same way? If not, which version FCP is needed? Thanks.

6. macusersince5 macrumors member

macusersince5

final cut express will work. But instead of the avch footage getting transferred into proress 422 will get transferred to Apple intermediate codec. I don't really know the difference and i have only used proress. google test footage for the camera and you will see some very nice images and video

7. davesydney macrumors newbie

camcorders

What do people think of the Sony HDR-XR500V?

8. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Another opinion

If you want to check out what camcorders can do, go to VIMEO.COM and put the name of the camcorder in the search field. Lots of directors and DP's there.

My fav has been the HV30 and it slays. HD and you can do 24P on it which is really nice for music videos. MiniDV, which I feel is a superior format as you can't accidentally erase hours of footage or "lose a hard drive" and all your work on it. Check it out on vimeo. Damn, it has it's own website dedicated to the users of it. google that.