Best camera Pictures and Video simultaneous

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by status56, Apr 11, 2014.

1. status56 macrumors newbie

I have the Nikon V1 and have the need to be videoing and during the video snap still shots without interrupting the video. This camera works very well. I am considering the upgrade to the V3 due to the recent updates and the fact that i am familiar with it and have a few lenses.
    I am wanting to know though, is there another alternative to this camera?
    I would consider a DSLR if it didn't interrupt the video.
    Any suggestions? A few thousand dollars isn't an issue, but nothing much over that.
    Thanks

2. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I think the ability to take a picture without interrupting video at all is something specific to the Nikon 1 series due the sensor technology it uses. My Canon DSLR can snap a picture while in video recording, it doesn't actually stop the recording, it just stays at the same frame for the time the mirror slaps. Depending on what you do, that might be good enough.

Otherwise, you could look at the Panasonic GH4 and Sony a7s, they shoot 4k video, so every frame is 12Mpix. That said, it'll be heavily compressed and it'll be shot at the same shutter speed as your video.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

That V1 is kind of unique. The only other way I've seen this done is to place two cameras on the same tripod. But usually there is a second person.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan