Best Canadian carrier for unlocked iphone4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hehe299792458, Aug 11, 2010.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I need help choosing between fido, Rogers, telus, bell, and possibly others for my factory unlocked iPhone 4? Thanks

2. halisray macrumors regular

Ive just been dealing with Bell - great customer service.. Rogers on the other hand.. hung up on me twice...

3. Steveo47 macrumors regular

Telus has a good network for reception/3g speed. Customer service is week for existing customers, but if your a new customer who is about to sign a new contract im sure they would do anything for you. Dont expect as much once your committed though.

4. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

I'm here in Canada visiting from the US for a couple weeks and have done the research on all the pay as you go plans, if you were interested in that at all. What I found was the best deal and best quality plan by far for my needs personally are from Virgin Mobile, which offers a monthly plan with unlimited international texting and 6 GB of data for $55 a month, with a $5 fee for the SIM card.

5. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Fido has good retentions if you're an existing customer. I know Bell and Telus are very weak for the most part with that kinda stuff but they can offer some pretty good deals.

Reception-wise I think my brother's Telus iPhone 4 is better than my Fido but it's not something that really bugs me.

I opted for Fido since they have per-second billing and no SAF. Plus I got a pretty good retentions plan because I told them other customers were getting better deals than I was on a similar plan. From what I hear, Fido and Rogers are the best with keeping existing customers happy.

Virgin could be interesting though.

6. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

fido and rogers have the bonus of having edge and slower networks to fall back on in areas where there is no 3g reception. When you're out of a 3g coverage area with bell or telus you get no signal at all.

7. draz macrumors 6502a

It depends on where you go, Rogers seems to have great coverage but in some cases it is better than Bell/Telus. But then Bell/Telus also has coverage where Rogers doesn't.
    In a big city it doesn't matter, all carriers have great coverage.

So it depends on where you are.

8. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Call all of them and tell them what each other is offering.. since you're unlocked they have to earn you...

9. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Thanks for all your comments. I've been reading about Telus's 42mbps upgrade later this year. Will that have any any bearings on iphone 4 speeds? Or is it bottlenecked by something else? Also, do any of the carriers support iPhone-only features (such as visual voicemail) on unlocked iPhones? Thanks

10. Aleks192 macrumors newbie

More details?

11. big samm macrumors 65816

yes but don't forget that edge save a lot of battery.... I mean the iPhone 4 can do 14 hours of talk time on edge vs 7 hours of talk time on 3G.... that's a huge difference... let's say someone who don't use data at all that's a big advantage for them... none of that goodness with telus or bell... but their 3G network looks good... like you said it depends where you at...

12. SirithX macrumors 6502

SirithX

Well the SIM card costs $5, the rest of it goes into the monthly plan you choose. The $25/month 100 minute anytime plan is the cheapest plan that includes unlimited text messaging, and for a "limited time," this includes international texts. Plans cheaper than $25 only include 50 text messages.

For data, the cheapest is actually the $30, and it normally only gives 500 MB but again, "for a limited time," this plan actually gives an entire 6 GB (curiously, more than the most expensive data plan which is $65/month and only gives 5 GB). So, you pay $5 for the SIM then $30 + $25 = $55/month for unlimited texts, 100 minutes (free evenings/weekends) and pretty much unlimited data (unless you're tethering a lot or something, I don't see how you can top 6 GB too easily).

13. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

I'm on bell here in toronto/North York and i compared my 3G speed to my buddys iphone 4 running on Rogers and his is significantly slower. Bell seems to be pretty consistant and a bit quicker and less clogged up. Also no dropped calls at all and I'm constantly on the subway. Also was up in Muskoka for the weekend and had 3 bars while everyone else with Rogers and Fido had no service. I was tethering up at the cottage and making calls like I was in the middle of the city. It was great!