best car adaptor?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by macRat17, Feb 10, 2008.

1. macRat17 macrumors member

macRat17

Looking for some sort of FM adaptor for my ipt. My car has a pretty crappy sound system so a fancy dock/deck isnt an option. Im looking a the griffin itrip but some people say its got lots of static. Any suggestions?

2. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

I'm just gonna throw this out there, but the greatest thing I have ever bought in terms of a car is two fold:

Radioshack sells a small cellphone holding device that sticks in your dash AC vent for about 5 bucks, which can not only hold your touch but also a phone if you aren't carrying it or whatever.

The second thing is a cassette tape that has a headphone jack coming out of it, and that goes right into the touch and works WONDERFULLY. No FM noise, no static, just great sound.

3. chris.niziolek macrumors member

From what I have learned about FM transmitters is that they suck! I had an iTrip and especially in the city, its hard to find a good clear radio station to use it on. If you are looking to spend a pretty penny to upgrade your headunit, I would recommend going to crutchfield.com and picking a headunit that has an AUX input for an 1/8" connector.

I use to have the 30 pin connector for my iPod until I got my iPhone and that doesn't work anymore, so buy the 1/8" connector instead.

I know that didn't really answer your question, but hopefully it can be some insight for other people.

4. radpanic macrumors member

If you have a tape deck....

The absolute hands down best car adapter is the Griffin Smartdeck. It pauses the iPod when you turn your car off and starts the iPod when you start your car again. Also, you can use your radio's tape controls to control the iPod! This is especially handy if you have steering wheel controls like I do. Now, the only problem is that Griffin stopped making this awesome device but you should be able to find one on eBay. My friend just bought one for 8 bucks. Happy hunting.:)

5. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

If you have a tape deck, I highly recommend going that route. FM transmitters , IMO, have horrible sound, and are extremely overpriced. I haven't had luck with one yet. I got a phillips tape adapter from CVS for 10 bucks, and it works great. I think Monster makes one if you want to go for a good brand. I've been told it doesn't make a difference, but I've heard some crappy ones. I can vouch for the Phillips. If you can avoid FM transmitters, I would, like the plague.

6. NinjaMonkey macrumors regular

I have the iTrip Auto which works okay. No FM transmitter is going to give you great sound but I found the iTrip easy to change stations when needed and it also includes a power adapter to charge the iPod.

I don't need the transmitter anymore (I have a AUX input now) but I still keep it in the car as a charger. I bought it pretty cheap ($16) though it lists for more. If you can get a good deal on I say go for it, it is worth a shot if you can't use a tape adapter or AUX input.

7. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I have the monster cable one that I bought for $80 and it doesn't work all too well. I guess it works better than others but i might just buy a radio aux input for my car.

8. ndheah macrumors regular

Aux Input :)
    Use it, works great, more clear than any Radio Tuner.