Best Car Mount

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by NotOwning, Oct 7, 2009.

1. NotOwning macrumors member

I've been trying to find a good car mount for my iPhone. Like basically everyone else I'm using it so that I will be able to see my Navigon route as I drive. I can't decide between a window mounted dock or a dashboard mounted dock. All opinions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I have the exact same question! Having one high-end GPS stolen from the car with an expensive passenger side window breakage, I vow never to buy or place anything of value in the car ever again. Even for the folks that want to get a mount, please, do yourself a favour and don't leave it mounted or someone may think there is a GPS inside the car. Just save yourself the costly repairs and the wastage of time.

So does anyone have any recommendations?

3. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

I use a Griffin WindowSeat, picked up from Marshall's for $10.00. It works and it's easily removable. If and when I park on the street I remove it.

4. daze macrumors 6502

daze

That looks awesome. Now to find it somewhere locally in Toronto.

5. bobgorila macrumors member

bobgorila

Has anyone seen anything close to the tomtom cradle?

Their cradle is pretty much perfect, though I have no interest in paying £100 for their special sauce GPS chip when my 3GS has a perfectly good one.

Seriously though, it hits three key notes that no car cradle I've yet seen can manage more than one of:

- you can clip the phone in with one smooth action and it's held firm from the top and bottom, so it's not going to jump out from a pothole or speed bump

- pass-through connector for charging and audio, because when your phone's in the car you want to play music and maybe be a GPS, so you'll need to goddamn charge it

- no goddam foot-long flexible arm to bounce around and lever itself off the windscreen with

Goddamn it people, how hard is it for the rest of the world to make a cradle that doesn't suck? All these stupid cradles that don't have a passthrough or worse, expect you to fumble around and connect cables to the phone's exposed dock once it's clipped in. Maddening.

6. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I just posted a thread with a description and pictures of my Custom install of PED3-Auto Mount from ThoughtOut.biz in Nissan Versa (w/ photos). Even without doing the custom installation, I think its a mount worth considering. Check it out if you're interested.