Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Hi i wanted to get a phone with a contract in which i want only unlimited data, no voice. I heard that you cannot buy an iPhone with unlimited data without ordering the smallest talk plan of 450 minutes. The android phones (the Droid Eris and T-Mobile Cliq i'm highly interested in) are pretty sweet and the latest models have been stacking up against the iPhone. So here is what i'm looking for:

-Phone that i can access internet, social networking, IM clients, email, text.
-Cheapest unlimited data plan.
-Touchscreen or QUERTY keyboard doesn't matter.

i have an iPod touch to do these functions but i am without a Wi-Fi hotspot often. Anyone have any suggestions? Please and thank u.

matt1219

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
Hi i wanted to get a phone with a contract in which i want only unlimited data, no voice. I heard that you cannot buy an iPhone with unlimited data without ordering the smallest talk plan of 450 minutes. The android phones (the Droid Eris and T-Mobile Cliq i'm highly interested in) are pretty sweet and the latest models have been stacking up against the iPhone. So here is what i'm looking for:

-Phone that i can access internet, social networking, IM clients, email, text.
-Cheapest unlimited data plan.
-Touchscreen or QUERTY keyboard doesn't matter.

i have an iPod touch to do these functions but i am without a Wi-Fi hotspot often. Anyone have any suggestions? Please and thank u.
Definitely go with the HTC Hero or Samsung Moment from Sprint. With the Everything Data for $69.99 a month. Sure, you only get 450 minutes, but with the Any Mobile, Anytime addition to the Sprint lines (for free) you get unlimited calls to and from any mobile phone, without using your minutes. So basically you only use your minutes when calling landlines. Also, it comes with Unlimited Messaging.

Shownarou

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Newton, IA
Why not get a MyFi? Most "Unlimited plans" do actually have a limit, but it's tough to use that limit just doing basic things.

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Wow i completely forgot about the MiFi. i'm looking at the data plans, what can 250MB do as opposed to the next higher level, 5GB? I don't really plan on using my macbook with it i don't suppose. Lets just say i only use my iPod touch. I won't be using it for application downloads, just email, text, IM and Safari. Is 250MB a month good enough for that?

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
i dont know if 250 mb would be enough for you (i think it should be)...its not for me though:p

i'd consider sprint as an option...it includes unlimited data and texts...

matt1219

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
i dont know if 250 mb would be enough for you (i think it should be)...its not for me though:p

i'd consider sprint as an option...it includes unlimited data and texts...

Yeah, but the mifi doesn't include texts. I think 5 GB is your best bet.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Clear communications is in a few states like Texas, Illinois, Oregon,
Washington, Idaho. Anyway they have an unlimited mobile internet
dongle to use with your laptop for $45 a month. But its limited to certain cities within those states. Just started here in Austin. Or its $55 for both that a home unit.

Think they are using Sprint towers. But its a nice alternative to cell phone plans.

blackapple3

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2009
T-mobile has a plan that's unlimited web and e-mail for $39.99 a month.

For phones on t-mobile, the Motorola Cliq and the Blackberry Curve 8900 as well as the my touch 3G.

Andy348

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2009
Montreal
Do you really need unlimited?

I reccommend searching on Crackberry about all the users who don't think 500MB is enough. The most I've used is 250MB in a month, and thats with app downloading, heavy browsing (2-3hrs a day), etc.

Shownarou

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Newton, IA
Remember also, a MyFi makes a mobile wireless connection. So the features on the iphone "your ipod touch" that are wifi only will work with the MyFi. Itunes music downloads etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.