Best Case For Couch

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ryanpfw, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ryanpfw macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am purchasing my first iPad and while I prefer my iPhone naked with an SFBags Smart Case as a sleeve (hate bulky cases and always find myself yanking my kindle fire out of mine when I don't need it.), I am one of those people who types 70 wpm without looking if I know the position of the keys and frequently use it sitting on the couch, where the angle would be uncomfortable without a case.

I considered the Apple smartcover with an sfbags smart case but the smart cover doesn't appear stable enough for my lap or the couch and seems best suited for the flat areas. Is that correct? I also read it can damage the side of the iPad. It does seem more ideal for video chatting on a flat surface or typing there.

I am looking at the Marware Folio and the CEO hybrid. Can anyone give feedback on how these types of cases work on the couch or in bed and how easy it is to pull the case off? The hybrid gets tagged as being overly springy when typing and the folio seems like it might be too unstable on the couch?

2. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I have had iPad 1 and 2 and tried lots of different cases. I like the folio type best for sofa surfing. Look for one with a snap-on back so you don't have anything interfering with the front screen of your iPad(i.e. nothing covering the bezel). This type is maybe a tad more difficult to get on and off but gives good protection and sits on your lap well as you use your iPad. Smartcover was not good for couch use and I returned it. I've liked the Speck Magfolio and iFrogz Summit folio cases with my iPad 2. I think Toblino and Targus make good ones like this too. Hope this helps.:)

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

4. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

That's extremely helpful because I would have expected just the opposite. The case I use for my kindle that seems most similar to the CEO hybrid uses the entire front cover as a base on my lap and the folio folds across like the smart cover so I expected the little triangle stand it forms to be not enough?

Just so I'm very clear, that smart cover like base gives the best support? And if it does, would the smart cover by extension offer good sofa support? :)

----------

Sorry missed a line of your post. Could you explain for a novice why the smart cover wasn't useful for the couch but a folio cover with a similar to will be?

5. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

The Smartcover folds up behind the iPad screen and IMHO doesn't provide enough of a vertical angle for sofa/lap viewing. A folio case's cover has grooves in it for iPad screen to rest in at various angles when open/in use and is a stable(stiff), flat surface to hold iPad steady as you use in your lap. Does this make more sense?

6. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

My newbie is showing. Marware has two cases I was looking at. One is their CEO hybrid which as you described is grooved and to me looked to have a firmer base. Their second case is the microshell folio which appears to be a back shell attached to their version of the smart
    Cover. I take it this isn't a true folio case and you would lean towards the hybrid in this case?

7. ryanpfw thread starter macrumors member

My newbie is showing. Marware has two cases I was looking at. One is their CEO hybrid which as you described is grooved and to me looked to have a firmer base. Their second case is the microshell folio which appears to be a back shell attached to their version of the smart
    Cover. I take it this isn't a true folio case and you would lean towards the hybrid in this case?

8. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Hybrid yes. But make sure it has the magnetic sleep/wake feature. It's a good feature.

9. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

Also looking for one on the couch for the new ipad. One with a smart cover that also folds up nicely on the back of the device and sticks to the back with magnets. And can be put in the 2 stand positions for table use. Most of them got the 2 positions but i really do want one that also sticks to the back.

10. Che Castro macrumors 603

Im looking for a case for the couch too

I use my ipad mostly sitting down on the couch or recliner

Whats the best case for this?

11. glen e macrumors 68030

There is nothing more all purpose than a good back plus a smartcover, IMO

12. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

13. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I use the X-Band all the time, it works great. I can easily hold it in landscape or portrait for extended periods of time with one hand comfortably. I just wish I could have the smart cover on at the same time for transporting it.

http://tko-solutions.com/cowbell/index.php?p=home

14. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh