Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobiyeet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
I've tried a few cases, and they all seem to get extremely slippery when my hands are dry / cold. Any tips for good high quality cases for dry hands?

Thinking of trying the rebel gen 3, or just going with the apple silicone.

Reactions: inquirerGeneral

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Anything silicone based will be better. I know the Apple ones can get “stickier” over time as well.

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I've tried a few cases, and they all seem to get extremely slippery when my hands are dry / cold. Any tips for good high quality cases for dry hands?

If you end up going with the rebel gen 3, get the crystal clear case. the frosted case is much less grippy.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021

What have you tried?
Have you tried a Smartish Gripzilla?

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
I swear by the LifeProof FRĒ. Sure, it's a bit pricey but worth every penny. Be careful if you buy from eBay as there are a lot of fakes and they're just rubbish.

mobiyeet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2020
What have you tried?
Have you tried a Smartish Gripzilla?

The thing for me is I'm looking for cases that have a grippy *back* texture. Not sides. I've tried:

• Spigen Thin Fit - This has always been my go to case on previous phones. The matte back texture on it is PERFECT. It grips like a sticky surface. Only downside is no magsafe.
  • Smartish Gripzilla - This was OK. 95% of the grip is on the sides of the phone. The back itself was pretty slippery.
  • Apple Silicone - Too slippery with dry hands.
  • Apple Leather - This was decent, better than the silicone surprisingly. But once my hands were dry it was GG.
Currently thinking of trying out the phone rebel case (flex series). Or dbrand grip. But I've heard the dbrand grip is similar to the gripzilla where 99% of the grip is just on the sides.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Have you allowed the leather or silicone apple cases to wear ? Makes a difference vs brand new

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
The thing for me is I'm looking for cases that have a grippy *back* texture. Not sides. I've tried:

• Spigen Thin Fit - This has always been my go to case on previous phones. The matte back texture on it is PERFECT. It grips like a sticky surface. Only downside is no magsafe.
  • Smartish Gripzilla - This was OK. 95% of the grip is on the sides of the phone. The back itself was pretty slippery.
  • Apple Silicone - Too slippery with dry hands.
  • Apple Leather - This was decent, better than the silicone surprisingly. But once my hands were dry it was GG.
Currently thinking of trying out the phone rebel case (flex series). Or dbrand grip. But I've heard the dbrand grip is similar to the gripzilla where 99% of the grip is just on the sides.

You can add some of this to any case.
There are many different kits available.
I don't know if it would interfere with Magsafe.

wbarnes4393

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
OP - did you ever find anything that worked? I, too, love a phone case that is grippy/sticky on the back. Generally the clear TPU ones seem to do best for me, but even then my hands will be different levels of dryness. As long as they have some moisture in them a lot of the cases stick well. But when they are super dry (for me generally at the end of the day/nighttime), almost any of them get slippery.....

austothemax

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2023
south fl
DBrand Grip with a textured skin on the back might be a good option. Infinite possibilities.
second this, been using it for months now strictly due the incredible grip & ergonomics even in colder conditions when my hands are dry

only gripe is the magsafe magnets are definitely on the weaker side

Reactions: AE14

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Caudabe has both the sheath and synthesis. Personally for dry hands I’d choose the synthesis due to the rippling pattern on the sides.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I've always enjoyed the basic Apple silicone cases. I too have dry hands - some days drier than others - and the silicone cases by Apple never lose their grippyness. I like to carry my iPhone in my front shirt pocket, usually a basic t-shirt. With the silicone my phone never slips out of my pocket when I bend down, and it does pull out when I reach for it. I get a decent level of protection in a minimalist design. Not much bulk added to the sleek iPhone design, nor much extra weight. Lots of earth tone colors to choose from. Right now I'm rocking the Elderberry silicone case. I also have Olive and Storm Blue.

Apple finally got black correct. Midnight is now truly black, not gray like before. Apple called it black, the pictures all showed true black, but when you opened the box and put on the case it was definitely gray. Not back. Now, however, they figured it out and made a real black silicone case. I may pick that up to go with my other three cases, especially because I chose the Space Black iPhone 14 Pro.

Midnight.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.