Best Case for Macbook Pro (unibody)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shadylane315, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Shadylane315 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I was wondering what you thought was the best case for the new macbook pro. It could be a sleeve or a over the shoulder bag or hard plastic case.

Any ideas would be awesome!

2. scottintosh macrumors member

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I saw a friend with one, swiss made :confused: anyway I want that one.

4. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's not a case ;)

6. SpEnCeR132 macrumors newbie

hmmm

applesac's are pretty cool. im getting one for myself

7. Shadylane315 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Camasii macrumors newbie

I ordered a Timbuk2 Commute messenger bag (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/laptop/commute) for my 17" unibody. It's a snug fit but it does fit and the bags are fantastic, a million pouches that hold everything you need. I strongly recommend them.

And if you happen to want a green bag you can get 25% off if you order by tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Tim

9. DolemiteJackson macrumors member

I've always been partial to a neoprene sleeve>messenger bag.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I've been happy with the Neoprene sleeves from Incase.

11. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

12. milk242 macrumors 6502a

It really depends on how much protection you are looking for. I use an applesac for my mbp, it won't protect it from dropping but it protects it from scratches and in my backpack from books. I've also used an incase hardshell, and it works pretty well.. didn't have any scratches after removal and never tested it by dropping it. It does add bulk but you get used to it.

13. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

14. macgrl macrumors 65816

I use a northface surge backpack with an incase sleeve. Does the job for me.:)

15. windstarfy macrumors member

windstarfy

Get the Incase ones on the Apple website. They're a little expensive but it's very well made and will feel your Mac is very safe inside. The inside is furry and soft too.

16. dentedG4 macrumors member

Booq plus Messenger Bag/Backpack

I can concur on the build quality of this company's cases/sleeves. I have the Vyper M2 and it fits my mbp fits like a glove, yet it is durable enough on the outside to give you peace of mind. Not that much thicker than a neoprene sleeve either.

17. janstett macrumors 65816

I have an older all-black version of this... It's been pretty good to me, carrying my 1st gen MBP and now the unibody MBP since 2006... But it's finally starting to break down after 3.5 years.

And FWIW, I'm thinking about giving up the messenger bag/sleeve and going back to a briefcase style thing. One day I didn't even drop my bag, just put it down as it was falling off my shoulder (carrying lots of other stuff) and I dented my 1st gen MBP right by the card slot. Messenger bags just don't offer much protection. The briefcase-looking thing I use for my Thinkpad has a ring of shock insulating foam around it that protects it from almost anything.

Plus, these kinds of messenger bags don't offer too much in the way of accessory storage. I carry my power brick, extension cable, a small case full of cables (firewire, iPod cables, headphones, etc.), a mighty mouse and alum keyboard, and the bag is busting at the seams.