Best Case for Protecting Glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by tbird2340, Oct 23, 2008.

1. tbird2340 macrumors member

I just got an iPhone 3G. Not even 24 hours into ownership it fell out of my pocket about 1-2 feet and hit the floor.. I inspected it and it was fine, or at least I thought.. Used it all afternoon at work, put it in my pocket for the ride home at work, took it out and put it on the counter.. Next time I went to use it I noticed a crack! :eek: :mad:

Anywho, that's a whole other issue.. Now I want to get a case that prevents this what seems to be EASY cracking if / when I get it replaced..

A lot of the cases I'm looking at seem to just offer rear protection and not much glass protection.. Is the lip most cases have over the front the glass protection? As the glass won't land directly on the floor because of the lip?

Any recommendations would be great.. Still feel sick and VERY disappointed that this happened.

Thanks

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry to hear about that.

Regarding glass protection, keep in mind you still need the capability of having touch sensitivity to use the phone, so adding a thick layer of protection may not work. Also it's glass, so if it drops with enough force, with or without protection, it may crack.

If you get a case with a "grippy" feeling, then it will make accidents less likely.

I don't want to add extra bulk so I opted not to get a case, I just use Bodyguardz, there's other skins out there, too. It gives some scratch protection and makes the phone less slippery to hold.

Search the forums
    for other's opinions on cases, skins, etc. Also, I went to iLounge.com for reviews.

3. tbird2340 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! I've been searching all morning.. Thread overload! :D

I went to iLounge too but I didn't really see anything touch on this particular issue. Thanks :D

4. Hockey man macrumors newbie

Hockey man

check out the speck pixelskin for the 3g. I have the speck armorskin for the original iPhone ( it's the same case, just renamed for the 3g phone). I absolutely love this case. It's got a nice feel. The rubber is thick to protect from drops like you had, but the case is still thin enough to put into a pocket. I keep my phone in my pocket all day since I am a student. There is a nice thick rubber lip on the face of the phone that will protect the screen from drops. I highly highly recommend this awesome case. It looks like a grenade which is pretty cool.nice texture.

5. Davoo macrumors member

Check out the Iskin revo 2. www.iskin.com . I dropped mine on concrete stairs. It bounced off the side the stairs onto the pavement from about 6 feet and both the case and the phone are completely fine. Saved me alot of grief. It's a bit bulky and isn't as nice looking as some of the cases out there but it does what it says it will.

6. tbird2340 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. That was one of the ones I was looking at.. Good to know you've had success with it.

7. reliantj macrumors 6502

8. mr-macintosh macrumors member

go on ebay and search iPhone cases there are plenty of options for having a case with a screen gaurd that doesnt affect the touch esnsitivity if you're not into those cases I suggest looking at naked case which also offers a screen protecter

9. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

a friend of mine got his 3G in Sept. and just last night he pulled it out of his pocket to answer a call and dropped it on concrete parking garage stairs. He told me there is a tiny nick in the glass (to the left of the home button) and some light scratches it finally landed on its face. I haven't seen it yet. but he is P/O! The iPhone froze up when he picked it up so he had to do a restart. So far he says it works fine... he uses an incase slider with no screen protector

He doesn't think the tiny nick will be a prob since its not near the screen but is now looking at getting a good case like the iSkin2 tonight. I'll be curious what he does and thinks about it...

Gotta becareful!!!!!