Best Case Material?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MOSTLY, Jul 20, 2009.

1. MOSTLY macrumors newbie

SILICONE, HYDROCARBON POLYMER, LEATHER, SYNTHETIC LEATHER, PLASTIC OR CARBON FIBER?

All have their advantages and disadvantages?

Which would be the best all rounder?

2. Nickday89 macrumors regular

Well, for impact purposes alone, I'd look for an Iron one with silicone padding. Only problem is you might lose a little bit of reception, maybe a bar.

This is a personal preference. Do you want to spend more money or less money? Do you want it to hold up if you play baseball with the phone? Or just a drop from your pocket? Or do you just want it to be free of scratches? If someone is THAT worried about what case material they need, IMO, the iPhone isn't the phone for them. Treat it well, and you'll be fine. I've never had any problems with my cheap plastic cases.

3. kicko macrumors 65816

While there is no such thing as a perfect case. For me i like the material of the iskin solo. I'm not sure what it is exactly but i believe its a polymer. It delivers a snug fit without the issues of silicone.

4. MOSTLY thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got it!

They need to make a case out of thin air....I know....bubble wrap!!!

Or one that blows up like an air bed...I'm full of crazy ideas today!!!

Protection when you need it...just blow it up!...bit like some loudspeaker bags I had..you just blew them up in like a big air bag.

I know......an Iphone airbag!!!!...thats it!!!!..I think I've found the answer!

hehe

5. Nickday89 macrumors regular

From personal experience, the iPhone is very durable to begin with. It may get a few scratches, but I've dropped my old iPhone many times and it's still in mint condition, with no scratches, really. My friend skateboards and has a dinky silicone case and it's been through some tough falls and its in mint condition.. Dont be stupid with your phone and it will be fine for years

6. iandre macrumors newbie

Well said. It's a phone that has to be used afterall.

7. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I second this. I prefer the "hydrocarbon polymer" but the squish of silicone with the slickness of a hard case is just about perfect.

8. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

9. MOSTLY thread starter macrumors newbie

Hydrocarbon

I have recently purchased a hydocarbon polymer case (more-thing Hex)

I am liking the feel of it with the added bonus of extra shock absorbtion..plus the cost is lower then Leather cases or the much bulkier Otterbox......but then I have both the latter!

I suppose my phone is insured...but I'd rather not go down that route.

I might make a case out of bubble wrap and post a pic on here...

hehe

10. JASApplications macrumors 65816